Tool: sysimage_creator for IJulia users

Tool: sysimage_creator for IJulia users

Announcement

• Hi, I’m happy to annaunce the release of sysimage_creator. It will reduce the time to initialize Jupyter Kernel and plot for the first time. Have a try.
  • Below I will explain why I made this.

First motivation

• Have you thought running using Plots (first plot) is slow?

% julia
                   _
       _       _ _(_)_     |  Documentation: https://docs.julialang.org
      (_)     | (_) (_)    |
       _ _   _| |_  __ _   |  Type "?" for help, "]?" for Pkg help.
      | | | | | | |/ _` |  |
      | | |_| | | | (_| |  |  Version 1.6.1 (2021-04-23)
     _/ |\__'_|_|_|\__'_|  |  Official https://julialang.org/ release
    |__/                   |

julia> versioninfo()
    Julia Version 1.6.1
    Commit 6aaedecc44 (2021-04-23 05:59 UTC)
    Platform Info:
      CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8210Y CPU @ 1.60GHz
      WORD_SIZE: 64
      LIBM: libopenlibm
      LLVM: libLLVM-11.0.1 (ORCJIT, skylake)
    julia> @time using Plots
      4.117976 seconds (6.74 M allocations: 490.050 MiB, 4.78% gc time, 0.12% compilation time)

julia> @time (p = plot(rand(5), rand(5)); display(p))
      9.885494 seconds (11.73 M allocations: 682.188 MiB, 2.96% gc time, 14.61% compilation time)

julia>

Well, you might as well read the following documentation provided by PackageCompiler.jl :

Here is what I did to reporoduce the result written in above. Note that it will generate a sysimage sys_plots.so.

% julia -e 'using Pkg; Pkg.add(["Plots", "PackageCompiler"])'
% echo "using Plots; p = plot(rand(5), rand(5)); display(p)" > precompile_plots.jl
% julia -e 'using PackageCompiler; create_sysimage(:Plots, sysimage_path="sys_plots.so", precompile_execution_file="precompile_plots.jl")'
% ls
sys_plots.so # it is generated by PackageCompiler
% julia -q --sysimage sys_plots.so
% julia> @time using Plots
  0.000445 seconds (1.09 k allocations: 81.062 KiB, 648.57% compilation time)
% julia> @time (p = plot(rand(5), rand(5)); display(p))
  0.593317 seconds (222.42 k allocations: 21.338 MiB, 4.90% compilation time)
  • Yes, it’s actually done well on Julia REPL.

Utilize our sysimage

• Can we utilize our sysimage sys_plots.so for running Julia on Jupyter Notebook/Lab?
  • The answer is yes. Before running Jupyter, please install Julia kernel via:
julia> using IJulia
julia> sysimage = joinpath(@__DIR__, "sys_plots.so")
julia> installkernel("Julia-sys-plots", "--project=@.", "--sysimage=$(sysimage)")
  • It will create a Julia kernel named Julia-sys-plots with option --projecrt=@. --sysimage=/path/to/sys_plots.so. See IJulia’s instructions to learn more.

• OK. let’s run jupyter notebook and then create a Julia notebook its kernel is Julia-sys-plots 1.6.1 not standard Julia 1.6.1. You’ll find running using Plots; plot(rand(10), rand(10)) is so fast.

• Satisfied? Hmm, have you thought … wait! Go to next.

Second motivation

• Have you thought Jupyter(with IJulia kernel) starts up so slow? Imagine you want to restart Julia notebook via KernelRestart & Run All several times. You might be a little frustrating because it takes several seconds to make the first cell is updated even if it contains only very simple expression like 1+1.
  • Let’s say we have a Julia notebook named simple_math.ipynb which contains only single cell its content is 1+1. On Julia REPL, the following script will take about 17 seconds. (If you are missing jupytext command, please install via pip install jupytext or conda install jupytext -c conda-forge whatever)
julia> @time run(`jupytext --execute simple_math.ipynb`)
[jupytext] Reading simple_math.ipynb in format ipynb
[jupytext] Executing notebook with kernel julia-1.6
Starting kernel event loops.
[jupytext] Writing simple_math.ipynb (destination file replaced [use --update to preserve cell outputs and ids])
 17.560112 seconds (44 allocations: 1.875 KiB)
Process(`jupytext --execute simple_math.ipynb`, ProcessExited(0))

Note that if you switch the kernel of the notebook to Python, you’ll get:

julia> @time run(`jupytext --execute py_simple_math.ipynb`)
[jupytext] Reading py_simple_math.ipynb in format ipynb
[jupytext] Executing notebook with kernel python3
[jupytext] Writing py_simple_math.ipynb (destination file replaced [use --update to preserve cell outputs and ids])
  2.314238 seconds (44 allocations: 1.875 KiB)
Process(`jupytext --execute py_simple_math.ipynb`, ProcessExited(0))

Though it has a little overhead, it is much better than Julia.

• In short, we STILL have a lot of room for improvement to reduce latency. In the next, I will provide a simple prescription to address our issue.

Prescription

• All right let’s get started. Fisrt, install another Julia kernel to record/trace precompile statements:
installkernel("Julia-trace-nb", "--project=@.", "--trace-compile=traced_nb.jl")

Here we’ve used --trace-compile flag to output “precompilation statements” to a file see instructions for PackageCompiler to learn more.

• Second, create notebook named nb.ipynb with Julia-trace-nb 1.6.1 kernel and write expression here as you want e.g. 1+1; using Plots; plot(rand(10), rand(10)) etc…

• Third, execute a command below:

% jupytext --execute nb.ipynb # will generate traced_nb.jl

Since, we’ve used Juia kernel with option --trace-compile=traced_nb.jl, it will record precompilation statements in traced_nb.jl.

• What should we do? Use create_sysimage of course. Note that there is a keyword argument precompile_statements_file that will accept "traced_nb.jl", above it, we’ve created.
julia> using PackageCompiler
julia> create_sysimage(
  [:Plots], # you can also add StatsPlots etc...
  sysimage_path="sys_plots_nb.so", 
  precompile_statements_file="traced_nb.jl" # important
)
  • Finally to test out the sysimage sys_plots_nb.so, install new kernel:
julia> using IJulia
julia> sysimage = joinpath(@__DIR__, "sys_plots_nb.so")
julia> installkernel("Julia-sys-plots-nb", "--project=@.", "--sysimage=$(sysimage)")

That’s it. Try to create/run Jupyter notebook with Julia-sys-plots-nb.

You’ll find @time run(jupytext --execute simple_math-with-sys_plots_nb.ipynb) tend to be better than @time run(jupytext --execute simple_math.ipynb)

sysimage_creator

There are a lot of things to do manually to setup… Do not worry! sysimage_creator will save your time to construct environment. Have a try!

git clone https://github.com/terasakisatoshi/sysimage_creator.git
cd sysimage_creator
make # create sysimage
make test # test out !!!
9 Likes

Lovely, thanks for sharing!

When I tried to --trace-compile an IJulia session (manually, not with jupytext) in my own setup earlier, the resulting sysimg could not be used in a kernel (the kernel died immediately). Have you encoutered this issue too when developing this?

Another question, why do you choose include_transitive_dependencies = false in create_sysimage, is that necessary for it to work?

Hi @tfiers thank you for finding this article.

the resulting sysimg could not be used in a kernel (the kernel died immediately).

Did you set --sysimage option appropriately?

See https://github.com/terasakisatoshi/sysimage_creator/blob/b68e4e608db734c3ceeb0b0f463116a879fad099/installkernel.jl#L22

As for me, the following commands (described in README) works for me.

$ cd /path/to/sysimage_creator
$ make

Another question, why do you choose include_transitive_dependencies = false in create_sysimage , is that necessary for it to work?

See the comment in this issue Lazy downloading artifacts with custom sysimage · Issue #639 · JuliaLang/PackageCompiler.jl · GitHub

It seems MKL_jll downloads when jupyter kernel launches if not set include_transitive_dependencies=false

1 Like

I see, thank you.

Yes, I succesfully used an IJulia kernel with a sysimage before; it’s just when I used my sysimage with IJulia-traced precompile statements in it that these crashes happened.

I will try your scripts next time I build a system image, and see if it works for me
(and if it does, narrow down what the difference is with what I did before).

1 Like

Hey @terasakisatoshi, have you played around at all with trying to use these precompile statements with pkgimages instead of sysimages?

I’ve tried a few things now and still have not managed to reduce the startup latency of IJulia without resorting to a sysimage. :frowning:

Hello @Mason . Sorry for the late reply. Do you reproduce your problem that you have faced in the past with Julia 1.9 (latest as of May 2023)?

yeah, it was the release of v1.9 which prompted me to try this again