Too late for Makie name change?

I think most new Julia users start plotting with Plots.jl because the name makes sense. Any chance of reviving this old plea?

3 Likes

Not really, Iā€™m pretty happy with the name and I donā€™t think there is a name so significantly better that it would be worth the hassle at this point.

9 Likes

It seems way too late. Thereā€™s a significant brand created at this point and as Simon said, changing the name would be a huge hassle at this point. Iā€™m just glad that the weirdly capitalized E is gone.

13 Likes

On a more general note, the ship to always use clear / descriptive names instead of ā€œbrandsā€ has long sailed anyways. See Zygote, Enzyme, Javis, Luxor, Polyester, ā€¦, and my personal favorites Cthulhu (and Yggdrasil). :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Keep in mind this is actively encouraged in the manual:

A less systematic name may suit a package that implements one of several possible approaches to its domain.

• Julia does not have a single comprehensive plotting package. Instead, Gadfly , PyPlot , Winston and other packages each implement a unique approach based on a particular design philosophy.
  • In contrast, SortingAlgorithms provides a consistent interface to use many well-established sorting algorithms.
3 Likes

Bummer.

I still think it is better to see a description of the approach in the name rather than something tangentially related that sounds cool. Off the top of my head, ā€œGoGPlots.jlā€ instead of ā€œGadfly.jlā€.

2 Likes

As long as there is good discoverability then I think naming isnā€™t much of an issue. Plotting (under the name Visualization) is one of the ā€œEcosystemā€ tabs on the homepage, which mentions Makie alongside many of the other most used plotting packages.

3 Likes

Just a small playful :grapes:, @Wikunia and I were somewhat happy with the name Javis as it actually stands for ā€œJulia Animations and Visualizationsā€
I suppose that is a bit hard to guess from the name though :laughing:

1 Like

Package naming is also important for reading othersā€™ code to understand the purpose of their dependencies.

3 Likes

Not saying that the name is great, but I just wanted to say that I bet the capitalization on the E was because Makie.jl was named for 蒔ēµµ (IPA: [maĢ kŹ²ieĢž]), a traditional Japanese laquer technique. This is stated in the README for the project on Github.

Here, ā€œmakiā€ is the verb stem form of the verb 蒔恏 (ā€œmakuā€) and ā€œeā€ is ā€œpictureā€ or ā€œpainting.ā€ So ā€œmakieā€ is a compound word, and probably thatā€™s why they chose the given capitalization.

3 Likes