The least readable name in standard Julia

I hope I’m not pushing my luck with this post. :grinning:

Julia would be more perfect in my eye with camelCase names. I just run into atreplinit(f) for the first time and it got me into deer caught in the headlights mode for a few seconds, before I was able to parse it as atReplInit(f). What is the least readable name in standard Julia you know?

5 Likes

It’s got nothing on other languages. F77: xerbla, ilaver, …

3 Likes

occursin :smiling_imp:

18 Likes

Well, we had only 72 columns to use out of 80 on the punch card. One had to be very thrifty with the names… :rofl:

1 Like

ocCursin :rofl:

3 Likes

I read it as OccurSin

12 Likes

Equally amusing…

1 Like

A long time ago, there was Pkg.whorequires

24 Likes

This goes straight to the top of the greatest hits list. :rofl:

3 Likes

splittext

Edit: it’s so unreadable that I got it wrong, it’s splitext

10 Likes

Along the lines of splitext. Slightly OT.
But, the least memorable is the second of
typeof, eltypeof.

#!@%$, I mean eltype.

2 Likes

Perhaps snake case would be more suited to Julia’s style at_repl_init(f)

7 Likes

CamelCase all across the board.

Names of Types and Modules begin with a capital letter and word separation is shown with upper camel case instead of underscores.

Just extend this rule to names of variables beginning with a lower case letter. I’m not a big fan of snakes.

I find snakes very readable, and all my variables (other than the mathsy ones) are snake names. That said, I’d definitely take camelCase over the smashitalltogether style that Julia unfortunately ended up with.

7 Likes

I don’t mean to be contrarian, but I happen to be very happy with the status quo, even if it’s not perfect.

6 Likes

Snake name in isolation is the most readable one, I grant you that. Inside a dense code, it looks just too fragmented to my eye. Subjective, I know.

2 Likes

It’s good for fast typing and overall not too bad.

You make a good point. I had to read some R code recently that was full of loads of long snake names (with dots rather than underscores, as is common in R), and it was too busy to see what was going on easily. I renamed population.df and current.time to simply P and t, and my life became much easier!

1 Like

cumsum always makes me snicker, childish I know…but there you have it.

7 Likes

It wouldn’t look more serious as cumSum

1 Like