TensorFlow: Basic example fails on "Variable"

When using the basic example from https://malmaud.github.io/tfdocs/basic_usage/ the only way I can get it to complete without error is by suppressing the y “Variable”. This version works correctly (but the test fails):

using TensorFlow
using Base.Test
sess = Session(Graph())
x = constant(Float64[1,2])
y = Variable(Float64[3,4])
z = placeholder(Float64)
w = exp(x + z) # originally exp(x + z + -y)
init = global_variables_initializer()
res = run(sess, w, Dict(z=>Float64[1,2]))
println(res)
@test res[1] ≈ exp(-1)

Is this my error or has there been some change to Variable? I am using a custom libtensorflow.so generated locally with bazel.

Error is:

ERROR: LoadError: Tensorflow error: Status: Attempting to use uninitialized value node
	 [[Node: Neg = Neg[T=DT_DOUBLE, _device="/job:localhost/replica:0/task:0/cpu:0"](node)]]

Stacktrace:
 [1] check_status at /home/colin/.julia/v0.6/TensorFlow/src/core.jl:459 [inlined]
 [2] run(::TensorFlow.Session, ::Array{TensorFlow.Port,1}, ::Array{Any,1}, ::Array{TensorFlow.Port,1}, ::Array{Ptr{Void},1}) at /home/colin/.julia/v0.6/TensorFlow/src/run.jl:100
 [3] run(::TensorFlow.Session, ::Array{TensorFlow.Tensor{Float64},1}, ::Dict{TensorFlow.Tensor{Float64},Array{Float64,1}}) at /home/colin/.julia/v0.6/TensorFlow/src/run.jl:172
 [4] run(::TensorFlow.Session, ::TensorFlow.Tensor{Float64}, ::Dict{TensorFlow.Tensor{Float64},Array{Float64,1}}) at /home/colin/.julia/v0.6/TensorFlow/src/run.jl:190
 [5] include_from_node1(::String) at ./loading.jl:569
 [6] include(::String) at ./sysimg.jl:14
 [7] process_options(::Base.JLOptions) at ./client.jl:305
 [8] _start() at ./client.jl:371
while loading /home/colin/courses/deeplearn/tfx.jl

OK I have it, because y is a variable, like placeholder z it needs to be set explicitly in the Dict input when the function is called. At least that gets it working again.

You need to call run(sess, init) to actually initialize the variable.

OK thanks, got it. Quite right, with run(sess, init) I can remove the y item from Dict. It’s a good little basic example but needs the using Base.Test and the run(sess, init).

I’m not sure how you found that old doc page, but just FYI the current doc is Basic usage · TensorFlow.jl.

Well, it was just a simple Google search, and the third item in my list points to https://malmaud.github.io/tfdocs/ and the link to basic example looks like just the ticket for a beginner. Perhaps Google indexing has not yet caught up with the latest offerings and needs some redirection help? I realize I have been pointed at the latest docs before and so am guilty of failure to make a note, but it might be of assistance to new people looking for information.