`sync_threads()` doesn't seem to work within a loop

I am trying to run sync_threads() within a GPU kernel but I can’t seem to get it to work within a for loop. Here is the MWE

using CuArrays, CUDAnative, CUDAdrv
import Flux: cpu

CuArrays.allowscalar(false)

x = cu(rand(8))

function kernel_for_loop!(x)
    index = 2*((blockIdx().x - 1) * blockDim().x + threadIdx().x)-1
    stride = 2*(blockDim().x * gridDim().x)

for offset in [0,1]
        sync_threads()
    end
    return nothing
end

function run_kernel_for_loop!(x)
    numblocks = ceil(Int, length(x)/256)
    @cuda threads=256 blocks=numblocks kernel_for_loop!(x)
end

@time run_kernel_for_loop!(x)

which gives error

ERROR: InvalidIRError: compiling kernel_for_loop!(CuDeviceArray{Float32,1,CUDAnative.AS.Global}) resulted in invalid
LLVM IR
Reason: unsupported call through a literal pointer (call to jl_alloc_array_1d)
Stacktrace:
 [1] Type at boot.jl:402
 [2] Type at boot.jl:411
 [3] Type at boot.jl:419
 [4] similar at abstractarray.jl:618
 [5] similar at abstractarray.jl:617
 [6] vect at array.jl:130
 [7] kernel_for_loop! at C:\git\intro_to_julia\13_mwe.jl:12
Stacktrace:
 [1] check_ir(::CUDAnative.CompilerContext, ::LLVM.Module) at C:\Users\RTX2080\.julia\packages\CUDAnative\l7sDn\src\compiler\validation.jl:77
 [2] compile(::CUDAnative.CompilerContext) at C:\Users\RTX2080\.julia\packages\CUDAnative\l7sDn\src\compiler\driver.jl:88
 [3] #compile#95 at C:\Users\RTX2080\.julia\packages\CUDAnative\l7sDn\src\compiler\driver.jl:38 [inlined]
 [4] compile at C:\Users\RTX2080\.julia\packages\CUDAnative\l7sDn\src\compiler\driver.jl:36 [inlined]
 [5] #compile#94 at C:\Users\RTX2080\.julia\packages\CUDAnative\l7sDn\src\compiler\driver.jl:18 [inlined]
 [6] compile at C:\Users\RTX2080\.julia\packages\CUDAnative\l7sDn\src\compiler\driver.jl:16 [inlined]
 [7] macro expansion at C:\Users\RTX2080\.julia\packages\CUDAnative\l7sDn\src\execution.jl:266 [inlined]
 [8] #cufunction#109(::Base.Iterators.Pairs{Union{},Union{},Tuple{},NamedTuple{(),Tuple{}}}, ::typeof(cufunction), ::typeof(kernel_for_loop!), ::Type{Tuple{CuDeviceArray{Float32,1,CUDAnative.AS.Global}}}) at C:\Users\RTX2080\.julia\packages\CUDAnative\l7sDn\src\execution.jl:237
 [9] cufunction(::Function, ::Type) at C:\Users\RTX2080\.julia\packages\CUDAnative\l7sDn\src\execution.jl:237
 [10] macro expansion at C:\Users\RTX2080\.julia\packages\CUDAnative\l7sDn\src\execution.jl:205 [inlined]
 [11] macro expansion at .\gcutils.jl:87 [inlined]
 [12] macro expansion at C:\Users\RTX2080\.julia\packages\CUDAnative\l7sDn\src\execution.jl:202 [inlined]
 [13] run_kernel_for_loop!(::CuArray{Float32,1}) at C:\git\intro_to_julia\13_mwe.jl:21
 [14] top-level scope at none:0

However, if I don’t call it within a for loop then it works

function kernel_no_loop!(x)
    sync_threads()
    sync_threads()

return nothing
end
function run_kernel_no_loop!(x)
    numblocks = ceil(Int, length(x)/256)
    @cuda threads=256 blocks=numblocks kernel_no_loop!(x)
end

run_kernel_no_loop!(x)

The problem is not with the sync_threads() but seems to be with the for loop, I can change the for loop to while loop then it works e.g.

function kernel_for_loop!(x)

offset = 0
    while offset <= 1
        sync_threads()
        offset += 1
    end
    return nothing
end

The problem seems to be with allocations. You are attempting to allocate a vector [0, 1] which is not supported inside CUDAnative. Using a tuple works.

How can I tell that? Just so I learn how to do it. @device_code_warntype and the output was quite long and I didn’t where to focus my attention.

Reason: unsupported call through a literal pointer (call to jl_alloc_array_1d)

The stack trace pointed to the for loop, not the sync_threads within.

@device_code_warntype contains:

│    %31 = (Core.tuple)(0, 1)::Core.Compiler.Const((0, 1), false)
│    %32 = $(Expr(:foreigncall, :(:jl_alloc_array_1d), Array{Int64,1}, svec(Any, Int64), :(:ccall), 2, Array{Int64,1}, 2, 2))::Array{Int64,1}
│          (Base.arraysize)(%32, 1)
└───       goto #7 if not true

Then you should reduce your failing code until the output was manageable. CUDAnative.jl will always be a little tricky to work with, don’t expect a friendly CPU-like environment (for a couple of reasons). You should make yourself familiar with debugging tools and use them.

I see, that’s the Julia’s call to make an array which isn’t support for GPU’s from the documentation I see that “Several parts of the language are downright disallowed, such as calls to the Julia runtime,”

Ok, this is good advice. I am just beginning to learn so total noob here. Read two tutorials and part of a CUDA C book. So I can do more with CuArrays and CUDAnative.