Sudden cursed precompilation error on local project: free() invalid pointer

Hi all,

So I know Halloween was Sunday, but I got a rather cursed error yesterday which I’m not even sure where to continue with debugging. Before running updates yesterday, this package was compiling fine and worked well. However, after updating, I get some sort of LLVM error trying to precompile (at the bottom, looks like its trying to fetch from the cache and failing?). At this point I’m not sure what else to try. I’ve

  1. Deleted everything in my .julia/compiled/v1.6/ directory

  2. Deleted everything in my .julia/packages/ directory and re-instantiated both the project itself and my general environment.

  3. Tried calling using someDependency for every package dependency of the project independently. Strangely, the result was different from when I ran Pkg.precompile(); some of them precompiled fine in the Pkg.precompile() call, but ran into errors (different from the one below, and I successfully resolved them all) when I called using someDependency.

  4. Updated from julia 1.6.1 to julia 1.6.3; didn’t seem to make a difference.

The public direct dependencies are: CUDA, DataFrames, Distributions#master, FFTW, Flux, GLMNet#master, HDF5, JLD, JLD2, Lasso#master, MAT, MLBase, MLDataUtils, MLJ, Plots, PyCall, Wavelets#master, Dates, Distributed, LinearAlgebra, Printf, Statistics.

The error (for julia 1.6.3)

free(): invalid pointer

signal (6): Aborted
in expression starting at none:0
gsignal at /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ (unknown line)
abort at /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ (unknown line)
unknown function (ip: 0x7fcb142ac735)
unknown function (ip: 0x7fcb142b508b)
unknown function (ip: 0x7fcb142b6aab)
cfree at /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ (unknown line)
_ZN4llvm2cl3optINS_15FunctionSummary23ForceSummaryHotnessTypeELb1ENS0_6parserIS3_EEED2Ev at /home/dsweber/julia-1.6.3/bin/../lib/julia/ (unknown line)
__cxa_finalize at /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ (unknown line)
__do_global_dtors_aux at /home/dsweber/julia-1.6.3/bin/../lib/julia/ (unknown line)
_fini at /home/dsweber/julia-1.6.3/bin/../lib/julia/ (unknown line)
unknown function (ip: 0x7fcb14267146)
exit at /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ (unknown line)
main at /buildworker/worker/package_linux64/build/cli/loader_exe.c:54
__libc_start_main at /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ (unknown line)
_start at /home/dsweber/julia-1.6.3/bin/julia (unknown line)
Allocations: 39716043 (Pool: 39707368; Big: 8675); GC: 19
ERROR: Failed to precompile sonarProject [5699c079-529b-4277-86cb-d568fe2d6827] to /home/dsweber/.julia/compiled/v1.6/sonarProject/jl_0vBUeZ.
 [1] error(s::String)
   @ Base ./error.jl:33
 [2] compilecache(pkg::Base.PkgId, path::String, internal_stderr::Base.TTY, internal_stdout::Base.TTY, ignore_loaded_modules::Bool)
   @ Base ./loading.jl:1385
 [3] compilecache(pkg::Base.PkgId, path::String)
   @ Base ./loading.jl:1329
 [4] _require(pkg::Base.PkgId)
   @ Base ./loading.jl:1043
 [5] require(uuidkey::Base.PkgId)
   @ Base ./loading.jl:936
 [6] require(into::Module, mod::Symbol)
   @ Base ./loading.jl:923
1 Like