StructuredMesh parabolic equations supported Trixi

Hi, i was using Trixi.jl for the Brown and Minion test case and i was trying to use the StructuredMesh function to refine the mesh cells by cells (20x20 to 25x25 and so on) but it seems that the create_cache_parabolic function is not defined for a StructuredMesh type

ERROR: LoadError: MethodError: no method matching create_cache_parabolic(::StructuredMesh{2, Float64}, ::CompressibleEulerEquations2D{Float64}, ::CompressibleNavierStokesDiffusion2D{GradientVariablesPrimitive, Float64, Float64, CompressibleEulerEquations2D{Float64}}, ::DGSEM{LobattoLegendreBasis{Float64, 5, SVector{5, Float64}, Matrix{Float64}, Matrix{Float64}, Matrix{Float64}}, Trixi.LobattoLegendreMortarL2{Float64, 5, Matrix{Float64}, Matrix{Float64}}, SurfaceIntegralWeakForm{typeof(flux_hllc)}, VolumeIntegralWeakForm}, ::ViscousFormulationBassiRebay1, ::Type{Float64}, ::Type{Float64})

Closest candidates are:
  create_cache_parabolic(!Matched::P4estMesh{3}, ::Trixi.AbstractEquations, ::Trixi.AbstractEquationsParabolic, ::DG, ::Any, ::Any, ::Any)
   @ Trixi /scratch/stg-cfds/renoux/Trixi.jl/src/solvers/dgsem_p4est/dg_3d_parabolic.jl:11
  create_cache_parabolic(!Matched::P4estMesh{2}, ::Trixi.AbstractEquations, ::Trixi.AbstractEquationsParabolic, ::DG, ::Any, ::Any, ::Any)
   @ Trixi /scratch/stg-cfds/renoux/Trixi.jl/src/solvers/dgsem_p4est/dg_2d_parabolic.jl:11
  create_cache_parabolic(!Matched::TreeMesh{3, TreeType} where TreeType<:Trixi.AbstractTree{3}, ::Trixi.AbstractEquations, ::Trixi.AbstractEquationsParabolic, ::DG, ::Any, ::Any, ::Any)
   @ Trixi /scratch/stg-cfds/renoux/Trixi.jl/src/solvers/dgsem_tree/dg_3d_parabolic.jl:986

On the Trixi.jl documentation, i saw that CompressibleNavierStokesEquations() should be supported for StructuredMesh

So i just wanted to know if it was a mistake on my part or just a future implementation ?

Here is the following julia code

using Trixi, OrdinaryDiffEq

prandtl_number() = 0.72
mu = 0.00005

dg = DGSEM(polydeg = 4, surface_flux = flux_hllc)

equations = CompressibleEulerEquations2D(1.4)
equations_parabolic = CompressibleNavierStokesDiffusion2D(equations, mu = mu, Prandtl = prandtl_number(), gradient_variables = GradientVariablesPrimitive())
"""
A compressible version of the double shear layer initial condition. Adapted from
Brown and Minion (1995). See Section 3, equations (27)-(28) for the original
incompressible version.

- David L. Brown and Michael L. Minion (1995)
  Performance of Under-resolved Two-Dimensional Incompressible Flow Simulations.
  [DOI: 10.1006/jcph.1995.1205](https://doi.org/10.1006/jcph.1995.1205)
"""
function initial_condition_BM_vortex(x, t, equations::CompressibleEulerEquations2D)

L = 1.0
  x0 = 0.0
  Ma0 = 0.2        # Maximum Mach number
  rho0 = 1.2         # density outside the shear layer

n_vortex=1
  l_ratio = 100.0      # length scale ratio (30.0 default)
  d_ratio = 1.0       # density ratio (4.0 default)
  v_ratio = 0.05       # velocity ratio (0.2 default)
  shear = 200.0        # shear value (15.0 default)

y0 = L/2
  ya = y0 - L/4
  yb = y0 + L/4
  sigma = L / l_ratio
  u0 = shear*sigma/2
  v0 = v_ratio * u0
  rho1 = d_ratio * rho0

B = tanh((x[2]-ya)/sigma)/2 - tanh((x[2]-yb)/sigma)/2

rho = rho0 * (1.0 + B*(d_ratio-1.0))
  u = u0 * (2*B - 1.0)
  v = v0 * cos(2.0 * pi * n_vortex * (x[1]-x0)/L)# + u0

c0 = u0 / Ma0
  temp0 = c0^2 / (equations.gamma*8.314)
  p0 = rho1 * 8.314 * temp0

return prim2cons(SVector(rho, u, v, p0), equations)
end

initial_condition = initial_condition_BM_vortex

coordinates_min = (0.0,0.0) # minimum coordinates (min(x), min(y))
coordinates_max = (1.0,1.0) # maximum coordinates (max(x), max(y))

trees_per_dimension = (1,1)
nb_cells = 67
#mesh = P4estMesh(trees_per_dimension,
                 #polydeg = 1, initial_refinement_level = 6,
                 #coordinates_min = coordinates_min, coordinates_max = coordinates_max,
                 #periodicity = true)

mesh = StructuredMesh((nb_cells, nb_cells), coordinates_min, coordinates_max, periodicity = true)

semi = SemidiscretizationHyperbolicParabolic(mesh, (equations,equations_parabolic), initial_condition, dg)

tspan = (0.0, 2.0)
ode = semidiscretize(semi, tspan)

summary_callback = SummaryCallback()

alive_callback = AliveCallback(alive_interval = 1000)

save_solution = SaveSolutionCallback(interval = 200,
                                     save_initial_solution = true,
                                     save_final_solution = true,
                                     solution_variables = cons2prim, output_directory="out_shearlayer")

analysis_interval = 100

analysis_callback = AnalysisCallback(semi, interval = analysis_interval)

stepsize_callback = StepsizeCallback(cfl = 0.1)

callbacks = CallbackSet(summary_callback, save_solution, analysis_callback, stepsize_callback)

###############################################################################
# run the simulation

tol = 1.0e-6
sol = solve(ode, RDPK3SpFSAL49(); dt = 1.0e-3, abstol=tol, reltol=tol,
            ode_default_options()..., callback = callbacks);

summary_callback() # print the timer summary

Yes, you are right. The StructuredMesh does not support parabolic terms yet. This was an error in our documentation, which will be fixed soon. Thanks for pointing that out!

1 Like

Thanks for the report. @JoshuaLampert has already prepared a hotfix for the docs. We should update the code to work with StructuredMeshes, too. In the meantime, you should be able to use the P4estMesh.

3 Likes

Thanks ! Glad i could help. I also had another question about the fonctionnalities for the DGmulti solver, I have tried to get an output in the format .h5 but the SaveSolutionCallback returns an error. Is it implemented in Trixi.jl for the DGmulti solver ?

No, the SaveSolutionCallback is not available for DGMulti. But you can plot numerical solutions using Plots.jl or Makie.jl (in an interactive session).

1 Like

Thanks, I am trying to get the data from Julia to Python for learning purposes (Through CSV.jl), I was wondering how you manage the discontinuities in the plot of the solution ? Because we have (P+1)^(NDIM) points in a cell and the faces that are not at the boundaries share points with theirs neighbors.
Thanks again for the quick response !

It depends on the setup. With Trixi2Vtk.jl and similar tools, we can interpolate solutions to a uniform grid of nodes strictly inside the elements for plotting. For other purposes (in particular in 1D), it can be very helpful to move the nodes at the element interfaces a tiny bit inside the element (like nextfloat and prevfloat) to really show the discontinuous solutions.

Oh I see, to visualise the riemann problem at the faces of elements, thanks !