Run test subsets with `Pkg.test`

question

It doesn’t seem to be possible to define groups of tests and then run only a given group of tests with Pkg.test. Is there an alternative recommended mechanism to achieve this goal?

Here is the use-case. I have a large package where running all the tests takes a long time. I am only working on a small part of it, so I would like to only run the tests related to the part that I am working on.

I could define test functions within the package, then import the package and call the test directly. This way I can organize things how I want, but I wonder if there is a more canonical way of doing it.

I think this would be a great feature. I usually separate out my tests into smaller file, and include them all into runtests.jl. It’s pretty easy to comment out the slow tests while developing.

Of course, this is a workaround. But this is not very robust. You might forget that you commented something, and I don’t think constantly changing a source file without need is good practice.

I agree, I just wanted to share it in case it would help temporarily.

Ideally, it shows up when you review the code before committing.

You can easily structure runtests.jl to select particular test groups depending on the environment.
Either write your own logic (following, e.g. DataStructures), or use @includetests from TestSetExtensions.

What do you mean by “environment”? Environment variables?

Both of the approaches I mentioned use ARGS which can be set interactively or on a command line, but other environment variables could also work.

+1 for an “official” way to do this!