Run external program escape charaters

Hello,

I’m trying to run .exe file, but Julia command doesn’t seem to work correctly.

.bat file that works:

cmd /min /C "set __COMPAT_LAYER=RUNASINVOKER && start "" "C:/Users/User/AppData/Local/Programs/My Program.exe""

Julia command doesn’t work:

run(`cmd /min /C "set __COMPAT_LAYER=RUNASINVOKER && start "" "C:/Users/User/AppData/Local/Programs/My Program.exe""`; wait=false)

Process(`cmd /min /C 'set __COMPAT_LAYER=RUNASINVOKER && start  C:/Users/User/AppData/Local/Programs/My' Program.exe`, ProcessRunning)

I couldn’t figure out how to fix this.

Escape the embedded quotes: run(`cmd /min /C "set __COMPAT_LAYER=RUNASINVOKER && start \"\" \"C:/Users/User/AppData/Local/Programs/My Program.exe\""`; wait=false)

Thanks for reply, but that didn’t work for me. Getting windows error:

julia> run(`cmd /min /C "set __COMPAT_LAYER=RUNASINVOKER && start \"\" \"C:/Users/User/AppData/Local/Programs/My Program.exe\""`; wait=false)
Process(`cmd /min /C 'set __COMPAT_LAYER=RUNASINVOKER && start "" "C:/Users/User/AppData/Local/Programs/My Program.exe"'`, ProcessRunning)

Windows cannot find '\\'.

I am not sure how to fix your original problem.
What is the purpose of the two double quotes after start?

But as a workaround (if you have not done so already) you could consider to create the .bat file with Julia and then run it.
you may want to consider mktempdir() to create a temporary directory.

1 Like

Thanks for suggestion. Before implementing your workaround I thought I’d give one last run at quoting random parts of command. I finally succeeded, but have no idea why this is working and previous one isn’t.

run(`cmd /min /C set __COMPAT_LAYER=RUNASINVOKER '&&' start '' 'C:/Users/User/AppData/Local/Programs/My Program.exe'`; wait=false)

Double quotes after start are needed to pass second argument.