RMS (Richard Stallman) feelings

Has anybody an opinion about the come back of RMS to the FSF board?

Why I am asking here? I am thinking about signing https://rms-support-letter.github.io/ and currently doing my research to untangle facts from claims. As Julia being a MIT descendant I guess there is something to say.

But, of course, if you think this is inappropriate here, stewards may close. I will flag this thread as soon as possible after creation for steward attention.

Why in Diversity & Inclusion? Because I currently tend to encounter rising events of destroying people in the name of “diversity&inclusion”, called cancel-culture, and the case “RMS” seems to fit.

I will not go into discussion, just hoping to gather some thoughts, so, don’t wonder if I don’t answer, I will read every word and will follow every link. I can’t give advice to others, but take the polarizing nature of this issue into account, if you decide to share your thoughts.

2 Likes

With the RMS case there is some trickyness regarding the intersectional problem how to handle the needs of people belonging to groups to be protected, “weird” people with inappropriate behaviour (which intersects!), political activists, and the entire free software community and it’s institutions. We as a programming community regularly fail at discussing something like this with any nuance, so we should perhaps try ourselves on our own, simpler problems first.

1 Like

@oheil If you trust me close this thread :wink:

1 Like

It’s flagged for attention for the stewards. They can decide as they see it appropriate. As I said, I will not discuss, but I have stated my current point of view (still developing) on this issue.

OF COURSE EVERY CONTRIBUTION HERE MUST BE PERSONAL OPINION AND CAN’T BE ANYTHING ELSE BY THE NATURE OF THE TOPIC

If it isn’t closed now by stewards but evolves badly it should be closed and removed. If stewards can’t do this in a timely manner it should be closed now.

@mschauer, I trust you and I trust the stewards.

Not aware of this and searched about it. Is all the fuss because of this statement?
The French president and his teacher, 24 years older, fell in love when he was only 16 years old. And their love still goes on.

No, the “fuss” is because he has a well-documented history of being unpleasant to members of the open-source and MIT communities, both online and through sexual harassment in person and because he decided to take a public stand to defend sex trafficking of children and because he is incapable of apologizing for said. If you’d like to learn about that toxic behavior, perhaps you can start here: rms-open-letter.github.io although I’m sure it’s not hard to find examples elsewhere.

11 Likes

The D&I category here isn’t a place for discussions like these — it’s a “place to brainstorm ways that we can make the Julia community a more inclusive and welcoming place to people from all backgrounds.” (About the Diversity & Inclusion category). Indeed, this is completely removed from the Julia project itself and has led to flamewars all across the internet; we’re not going to foster that here.

13 Likes