Rescuing old Julia 0.5 Nullable{Date} type in 0.6

Hi,

I’m upgrading to from Julia 0.5 to Julia 0.6 but I’m having some problems reading old JLD files with Nullable{Date} field.

Julia 0.5 type below:

type foo5
    id::Int64
    rollup_date::Nullable{Date}
end

Julia 0.6 type:

mutable struct foo5

end

Following the JLD docs for rescuing old types I have the following:

type OldNullable{T}
    isnull::Bool
    value::T
end

JLD.readas(x::OldNullable) = Nullable(x.value, !x.isnull)
JLD.translate("Base.Nullable{Base.Dates.Date}",  "OldNullable{Base.Dates.Date}")

path = "c:\\foo5.jld"
file_dir, file_name = splitdir(path)
file_prefix, file_ext = splitext(file_name)
obj = JLD.load(path, file_prefix)

After trying to load this type I get the following error:

stored type foo5 does not match currently loaded type

Stacktrace:
 [1] jldatatype(::JLD.JldFile, ::HDF5.HDF5Datatype) at C:\Program Files\ReSolver.DistributedJulia\packages\v0.6\JLD\src\jld_types.jl:721
 [2] read(::JLD.JldDataset) at C:\Program Files\ReSolver.DistributedJulia\packages\v0.6\JLD\src\JLD.jl:368
 [3] read(::JLD.JldFile, ::String) at C:\Program Files\ReSolver.DistributedJulia\packages\v0.6\JLD\src\JLD.jl:344
 [4] (::JLD.##41#42{String})(::JLD.JldFile) at C:\Program Files\ReSolver.DistributedJulia\packages\v0.6\JLD\src\JLD.jl:1241
 [5] #jldopen#11(::Array{Any,1}, ::Function, ::JLD.##41#42{String}, ::String, ::Vararg{String,N} where N) at C:\Program Files\ReSolver.DistributedJulia\packages\v0.6\JLD\src\JLD.jl:243
 [6] load(::FileIO.File{FileIO.DataFormat{:JLD}}, ::String) at C:\Program Files\ReSolver.DistributedJulia\packages\v0.6\JLD\src\JLD.jl:1240
 [7] #load#13(::Array{Any,1}, ::Function, ::String, ::String, ::Vararg{String,N} where N) at C:\Program Files\ReSolver.DistributedJulia\packages\v0.6\FileIO\src\loadsave.jl:113
 [8] load(::String, ::String) at C:\Program Files\ReSolver.DistributedJulia\packages\v0.6\FileIO\src\loadsave.jl:113

Any ideas or anything obvious that I’m doing wrong?

Regards,
Adrian.

Nullables are immutable, so perhaps your OldNullable should be a struct (the new equivalent of the old immutable) instead. I realize that your code matches the readme, but it’s possible that the readme is incorrect. See https://github.com/JuliaIO/JLD.jl/issues/180 where the version that worked used a struct for OldNullable.

hmm…tried that, still doesn’t seem to work.

If I do exactly as the link states, I can write a 0.5 Nullable{Date} to disk and read in 0.6. But it doesn’t work when I have it nested inside my type.

Could you try also defining an OldFoo5 type and corresponding readas method and translate call?

Yep, tried that, still does not work:

import JLD

struct OldNullable{T}
    isnull::Bool
    value::T
end

JLD.readas(x::OldNullable) = Nullable(x.value, !x.isnull)
JLD.translate("Base.Nullable{Base.Dates.Date}",  "OldNullable{Base.Dates.Date}")

mutable struct foo5 
end

mutable struct oldfoo5
end

JLD.readas(x::oldfoo5) = foo5(x.id, x.rollup_date)
JLD.translate("foo5", "oldfoo5")

path = "c:\\foo5.jld"
file_dir, file_name = splitdir(path)
file_prefix, file_ext = splitext(file_name)
obj = JLD.load(path, file_prefix)

gives the same error:

stored type oldfoo5 does not match currently loaded type

Stacktrace:
 [1] jldatatype(::JLD.JldFile, ::HDF5.HDF5Datatype) at C:\Program Files\ReSolver.DistributedJulia\packages\v0.6\JLD\src\jld_types.jl:721
 [2] read(::JLD.JldDataset) at C:\Program Files\ReSolver.DistributedJulia\packages\v0.6\JLD\src\JLD.jl:368
 [3] read(::JLD.JldFile, ::String) at C:\Program Files\ReSolver.DistributedJulia\packages\v0.6\JLD\src\JLD.jl:344
 [4] (::JLD.##41#42{String})(::JLD.JldFile) at C:\Program Files\ReSolver.DistributedJulia\packages\v0.6\JLD\src\JLD.jl:1241
 [5] #jldopen#11(::Array{Any,1}, ::Function, ::JLD.##41#42{String}, ::String, ::Vararg{String,N} where N) at C:\Program Files\ReSolver.DistributedJulia\packages\v0.6\JLD\src\JLD.jl:243
 [6] load(::FileIO.File{FileIO.DataFormat{:JLD}}, ::String) at C:\Program Files\ReSolver.DistributedJulia\packages\v0.6\JLD\src\JLD.jl:1240
 [7] #load#13(::Array{Any,1}, ::Function, ::String, ::String, ::Vararg{String,N} where N) at C:\Program Files\ReSolver.DistributedJulia\packages\v0.6\FileIO\src\loadsave.jl:113
 [8] load(::String, ::String) at C:\Program Files\ReSolver.DistributedJulia\packages\v0.6\FileIO\src\loadsave.jl:113

I think I got your example to work when I did the following:

• Change the type of rollup_date in the oldfoo5 definition to OldNullable{Date}
  • Change the definition of readas on oldfoo5 to
    readas(x::oldfoo5) = foo5(x.id, JLD.readas(x.rollup_date))

Does that work for you?

Yes, that works just fine. Never thought to try that.

Many thanks!