REPL and for loops (scope behavior change)

Just use IJulia. It will have the same “feel” as v0.6.
Also, it wouldn’t hurt just trying to learn the new scoping rule…

0 Likes

Or more generally, use https://github.com/stevengj/SoftGlobalScope.jl. Put it in your startup file if you wish.

0 Likes

IJulia does not give me the speed that I need for my calculations. I need a local installation with a lot of help from the GPU. That’s why I ended up going from IJulia (0.x) notebooks on the web to the desktop. That’s how I landed with JuliaPro 1.x

I got some help with scoping a simple loop this morning. Immediate success. I was happy. Then I added another loop to the program. The same recipe does not work. I’d have to go into computer science mode to get over the hump. That hurts a lot. I don’t think like a programmer and I don’t want to learn how to think like a programmer. I’d rather be waterboarded, right now.

0 Likes

Thanks for this. I’ll check it out. If SoftGlobalScope.jl does the job, I’ll be back and we’ll have a party. I have to say that in the meantime, I’ve already got a body part or two in the jaws of Mathematica. Wish me luck.

0 Likes

Thanks for the interest. My original problem lives here: Global Scope Confusion

0 Likes

You can run IJulia locally. Don’t confuse IJulia with juliabox or whatever cloud server you are using.

2 Likes

SoftGlobalScope doesn’t work in the REPL. It only works in environments that choose to use it, which so far is just IJulia.

0 Likes

Ah, thanks for the correction. I had thought it did.

0 Likes

Aahhh. That sounds promising. Thanks.:grinning:

0 Likes

This is slightly off topic, but I never liked much having jupyter notebooks in the middle of my browsing tabs.
I like nteract, which provides an isolated desktop app for jupyter notebooks.
It is beta, though, so you can expect some bugs lurking around.
In Unix plataforms it is able to “self-setup” it to look for installed jupyter kernels. I don’t know if it work as easily on Windows.

1 Like