Release strategy for juliac?

@mbauman, why do you say that? And what would it involve? I mean, I see no movement on the PR, plus it’s just a “placeholder”:

Adds two new cli drivers, juliax and juliac. At the moment, juliac is a placeholder and just errors

That’s just supposed to be a CLI “driver” yes, so I’m not sure where to look for actual work on the actual compiler improivments, that is at JuliaLang (I know of I think all the outside efforts). Plus, I thought that in effect juliac would just be a standard way, just invoking what’s more or less possible already with PackageCompiler.jl (PC), i.e. not a huge improvement.

Julia precompiles packages already, so it alone can do that, and I DO want arbitrary scripts to be compilable also, it doesn’t seem like a huge leap to do that (and including its dependencies), since PC does that, into one file. But it doesn’t seem it would be better or worse than with PC, it might even be done by it, by juliac downloading it for you and, invoking PC. For now people need to know of it, I suppose it’s documented in Julia’s official docs, or could be with a link.

There’s also AppBundler.jl in case people only want packages easily distributable apps in one file. I belive PG only gives you precompiled in one directory, not file, and you need to distribute it or in a manual step make an installer (e.g. for Windows, it’s documented how in a YouTube video at least). AppBundler does NOT compile (it’s not always needed), and it could be used with PC, at least theoretically.

1 Like