Recommended style guide for naming functions is not practical

Without knowing the details, I would hazard a guess that something like the @deprecate macro would be more appropriate.

1 Like

If by Atom you mean Juno then you definitely should get an autocompletion dropdown as soon as you type and have a Julia session running:
grafik

1 Like

The idea is that currently the user access foo_bar - but I’d like to swap them to foobar across a few minor versions. So first, I need to provide the corresponding methods to allow users to update their code. And then deprecate by making foobar the actual name of the function and have foo_bar as foo_bar() = deprecation_message() && foobar(). Where deprecation_message will let them know that they need to switch from foo_bar to foobar.

It might be a good case for @deprecate but I’m not sure how to use it. Is it documented, I can’t seem to find it.

Ah, you’re right about the “have a Julia session running” part! I just tested and indeed, it now works. I don’t normally (ever?) use the REPL in Atom as my work is in the browser, so I just edit files in Atom and check the webpage.

It has a docstring, and Base is full of examples.

Good point, thanks.

help?> @deprecate
  @deprecate old new

The first argument old is the signature of the deprecated method, the second one new is the call which replaces
  it. @deprecate exports the function.

I need to try it.