Publication with Julia/JuMP/Spectra: Thanks Julia Ecosystem

Dear Julia Opt community,

I just wanted to share my enthusiasm about one of our new publication in Journal of Non Crystalline Solids (click here for a free version until 8th May or here for the standard Elsevier access).

The combination of Julia+JuMP allowed us to test easily very various models, leading us to find a way to link the entropy, the molecular structure and the viscosity of silicate melts and glasses. This has fundamental implications in Earth sciences and in the glass-making industry, because the viscosity of silicate melts influences, for instance, the dynamic of volcanic eruptions or glass-making processes. I described that a little bit more in this blog post.

Of course, the model is open source and available in a github repository, and futur improvements will be pushed in this repository!

Therefore, thank you the Julia and Julia Opt community for those splendid open-source optimisation packages that allow such kind of work to be done efficiently, focusing on the problem rather than its implementation!

Best,
Charles Le Losq.

15 Likes

Here’s how you add it to the website:

https://github.com/JuliaLang/julialang.github.com/tree/master/publications

3 Likes

Hi! maybe is the wrong way to ask you a question…but i’ve some problem in installing Spectra.jl on windows 10 correctly and I know you are the creator so maybe you could help me. When i try to install Spectra i got this error message (see image uploaded). What i have to do? Will spectra work also without gcvspline? As you have write that with the v0.3.4 or higher i should not have problem! what i’ve to do? Is compulsory have GFortran on my pc?

Hi,

Spectra.jl calls gcvspline, a Python library that wraps the GCVSPL.f program. However, as installation of gcvspline requires the compilation of GCVSPL.f, you indeed need to have a running fortran compiler on your system.

I am currently thinking about dropping support of gcvspline and related functions in Spectra.jl 0.4 , but this is still not done.

I don’t think you can import Spectra.jl if it has build errors. The best think now will be to install gfortran on your system:

• To install gfortran under windows, you can follow those instructions (steps 3 & 4): F2PY_Windows - SciPy wiki dump and see if it works…

• However, it is usually easier to install any Linux distribution under a virtual environment. I think it is easy to do that now in Windows 10, otherwise you can install virtualbox and install Linux in a virtualbox machine. With gfortran installed on Ubuntu, this should solve this sort of problem.\

Regarding reporting errors, it is usually best to open an issue on Github or to email me directly with problems (see my github page).

Let me know if you’re successful in solving the problem,

Best,
C.