Problem understanding Loss function behavior using Flux.jl

First of all, I am new to Neural Network (NN).

Now, to the point!

As part of my PhD, I am trying to solve some problem through NN.
For this, I have created a program that creates some data set made of
a collection of input vectors (each with 63 elements) and its corresponding
output vectors (each with 6 elements). Basically, my model is expected to map a

\mathbf{R}^{63}\rightarrow Model \rightarrow \mathbf{R}^{6}

So, my program starts like this:

Nₜᵣ            = 25;   # number of inputs in the data set
xtrain, ytrain = dataset_generator(Nₜᵣ); # generates In/Out vectors: xtrain/ytrain
datatrain      = zip(xtrain,ytrain);     # ensamble my data

Now, both xtrain and ytrain are of type Array{Array{Float64,1},1}, meaning that
if (say) Nₜᵣ = 2, then xtrain (also ytrain, except for the dimension) looks like:

julia> xtrain    #same for ytrain
2-element Array{Array{Float64,1},1}:
 [1.0, -0.062, -0.015, -1.0, 0.076, 0.19, -0.74, 0.057, 0.275, ....]
 [0.39, -1.0, 0.12, -0.048, 0.476, 0.05, -0.086, 0.85, 0.292, ....]

The first 3 elements of each vector is normalized to unity (represents x,y,z coordinates), and the following 60 numbers are also normalized to unity and corresponds to some measurable attributes.

The program continues like:

layer1 = Dense(length(xtrain[1]),46,tanh); # setting 6 layers
layer2 = Dense(46,36,tanh)            ;
layer3 = Dense(36,26,tanh)            ;
layer4 = Dense(26,16,tanh)            ;
layer5 = Dense(16,6,tanh)             ;
layer6 = Dense(6,length(ytrain[1]))   ;

m = Chain(layer1,layer2,layer3,layer4,layer5,layer6); # composing the layers

squaredCost(ym,y) = (1/2)*norm(y - ym).^2; 
loss(x,y)         = squaredCost(m(x),y); # define loss function

ps  = Flux.params(m);         # initializing mod.param. 
opt = ADAM(0.01, (0.9, 0.8)); # 

and finally:

trainmode!(m,true)
itermax = 700;    # set max number of iterations
losses = [];     
for iter in 1:itermax
    Flux.train!(loss,ps,datatrain,opt);
    push!(losses, sum(loss.(xtrain,ytrain)));
end

It runs perfectly, however, it comes to my attention that as I train my model with an increasing data set(Nₜᵣ = 10,15,25, etc…), the loss function seams to increase. See the image below:
y1: 10, y2=15, y3=25

Where: y1: Nₜᵣ=10, y2: Nₜᵣ=15, y3: Nₜᵣ=25.
So, my main question:

1. Why is this happening?. I can not see an explanation for this behavior. Is this somehow expected?

Remarks: Note that

• All elements from the training data set (input and output) are normalized to [-1,1].
  • I have made all layers to decrease dimentionallity slowly from 63 to 6.
  • I have not tryed changing the activ. functions.
  • I have not tryed changing the optimization method
  1. Considerations: I need a training data set of near 10000 input vectors, and so I am expecting an even worse scenario…

2. Some personal thoughts:

• Am I arranging my training dataset correctly?. Say, If every single data vector is made of 63 numbers, is it correctly to group them in an array? and then pile them into an Array{Array{Float64,1},1}?. I have no experience using NN and flux. How can I made a data set of 10000 I/O vectors differently? Can this be the issue?. (I am very inclined to this)
  • Can this behavior be related to the chosen act. functions? (I am not inclined to this)
  • Can this behavior be related to the opt. algorithm? (I am not inclined to this)
  • Am I training my model wrong?. Is the iteration loop really iterations or are they epochs. I am struggling to put(differentiate) this concept of “epochs” and “iterations” into practice.

Can anybody give me a hint, or a pice of advise on what may be going wrong?. Or at least, point me in a direction that can help me understand what is happening to my loss function?

Thanks in advance!

PD: I first posted this on StackOverflow, but then I realize that this is a much better place for this issue, so you can find this post twice on the web!

if u sum loss you get larger loss for more data? How abt avg the losses.

It looks to me like your loss function should increase with dataset size as it is positive and not normalized by number of data points.

A nice way to see what is going on with these problems is to evaluate periodically on a test set of data. Create a small (few hundred point) subset of your data, do not include it in the training data, and evaluate the loss on that test dataset. If you leave this fixed size, it will allow you to decide if increasing the training dataset size is helping. In addition, you might notice during training that the test set error will stop falling or even rise while the training set error continues to fall, this is good indication that your model is starting to overfit.

1 Like

@contradict This is interesting, I can try a loss function defined, say:

loss(x,y) = (squaredCost(m(x),y)/size(y));, and see what happens.

Btw, the idea of the pushing the values of sum(loss.(xtrain,ytrain)) inside losses array its something that I copy&paste from various examples in the web. Now I realize that I should probably store the values of loss.(xtrain,ytrain) instead of the sum which will give me some kind of cumulative loss. Does this make any sense in your experience?

What kind of use does people give to sum(loss.(xtrain,ytrain))?

Thanks so much for the response!

@xiaodai Indeed, now that you mention this point, It make sense that the sum over the loss function can increase as dataset size increse… However, isn’t loss(x,y) returning a single value at every iteration? Would there be any difference in summing or not?. What I meant is that if the output value of loss(x,y) is a single number at every iteration, what is being added?. What am I missing?
I will make some printings in the execution to see if there is something being summed here…

You are doing a bit of extra work in that particular example by recomputing the loss twice, if you do want to keep track of the training loss, something like this works well.

You could keep track of the per-example (not summed over the training set) loss but it will be quite noisy when training on one example at a time. Mini-batches are a nice compromise, instead of evaluating the loss on a single example at a time you evaluate on a small set of examples, this tends to make more efficient use of the hardware and can regularize the training as well.