Plots failed to precompile

Solved after uninstalling Julia and installing a later version.

I have tried to include the Plots package from the REPL with:

(@v1.7) pkg> add Plots

This has failed. The error occurs when Julia is “Building GR”. Several dependencies need to be precompiled. I have tried this several times and the same 12 always fail to precompile, they are:
Glib_jll
gdk_pixbuf_jll
Cairo_jll
HarfBuzz_jll
Qt5Base_jll
libass_jll
Pango_jll
Cairo
FFMPEG_jll
GR_jll
Luxor

I have tried to build these packages. When I try julia> using Glib_jll I get the following error:

ERROR: LoadError: InitError: could not load library "C:\Users\anaal\.julia\artifacts\5e6cdd29fca31b08026313af46c1db0c724ebbb2\bin\libpcre-1.dll"         
The specified module could not be found.       
Stacktrace:   

(I haven’t copied the Stacktrace)

during initialization of module PCRE_jll           
in expression starting at C:\Users\anaal\.julia\packages\Glib_jll\2OVnY\src\wrappers\x86_64-w64-mingw32.jl:7            
in expression starting at C:\Users\anaal\.julia\packages\Glib_jll\2OVnY\src\Glib_jll.jl:2                               
ERROR: Failed to precompile Glib_jll [7746bdde-850d-59dc-9ae8-88ece973131d] to C:\Users\anaal\.julia\compiled\v1.7\Glib_jll\jl_FFD0.tmp.     
Stacktrace:  

(I haven’t copied the Stacktrace)

When I check the folder .julia\artifacts\5e6cdd29fca31b08026313af46c1db0c724ebbb2 it is empty. So it seems like Julia cannot install the package PCRE_jll because the folder that contains its information .julia\artifacts\5e6cdd29fca31b08026313af46c1db0c724ebbb2 is empty. Is there a way to solve this?

I am on windows, I downloaded Julia a few days ago for a course I’m taking. I have v1.7 and I have only connected it to Jupyter Notebook with anaconda. I tried installing the packages for Gmsh before installing Plots. But those are the only packages I have installed. Several of my classmates have successfully installed Plots, which makes it all more confusing.
I am not sure if this is relevant, but when I tried to install the Gmsh package with using Gmsh I also had an error saying that the packages didn’t support my platform ( Your platform ("x86_64-w64-mingw32", parsed as "x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc8-cxx11") ). But I found a gmsh.jl on GitHub that I managed to install.

2 Likes