Pkg.update() failing in Julia 0.6.4 on Ubuntu 16.04 behind firewall.


#1

Hello All,
I recently downloaded JuliaPro version 0.6.4.1 with MKL support and started the REPL from bash shell. Pkg.update() fails, with error messages as below -

INFO: Updating METADATA... ERROR: METADATA cannot be updated. Resolve problems manually in JuliaPro-0.6.4.1/JuliaPro/pkgs-0.6.4.1/v0.6/METADATA. GitError(Code:ECERTIFICATE, Class:SSL, SSL error: ffffd900[8] - X509 - Certificate verification failed, e.g. CRL, CA or signature check failed) macro expansion at ./libgit2/error.jl:99 [inlined] #fetch#41(::Base.LibGit2.FetchOptions, ::String, ::Function, ::Base.LibGit2.GitRemote, ::Array{AbstractString,1}) at ./libgit2/remote.jl:226 (::Base.LibGit2.#kw##fetch)(::Array{Any,1}, ::Base.LibGit2.#fetch, ::Base.LibGit2.GitRemote, ::Array{AbstractString,1}) at ./<missing>:0 #fetch#84(::String, ::String, ::Array{AbstractString,1}, ::Nullable{Base.LibGit2.AbstractCredentials}, ::Function, ::Base.LibGit2.GitRepo) at ./libgit2/libgit2.jl:312 (::Base.Pkg.Entry.##33#39)(::Base.LibGit2.GitRepo) at ./pkg/entry.jl:371 with(::Base.Pkg.Entry.##33#39, ::Base.LibGit2.GitRepo) at ./libgit2/types.jl:608 update(::String, ::Set{String}) at ./pkg/entry.jl:354 (::Base.Pkg.Dir.##3#6{Array{Any,1},Base.Pkg.Entry.#update,Tuple{String,Set{String}}})() at ./pkg/dir.jl:33 cd(::Base.Pkg.Dir.##3#6{Array{Any,1},Base.Pkg.Entry.#update,Tuple{String,Set{String}}}, ::String) at ./file.jl:70 withenv(::Base.Pkg.Dir.##2#5{Array{Any,1},Base.Pkg.Entry.#update,Tuple{String,Set{String}},String}, ::Pair{String,String}, ::Vararg{Pair{String,String},N} where N) at ./env.jl:157 #cd#1(::Array{Any,1}, ::Function, ::Function, ::String, ::Vararg{Any,N} where N) at ./pkg/dir.jl:32 update() at ./pkg/pkg.jl:228 eval(::Module, ::Any) at ./boot.jl:235 eval_user_input(::Any, ::Base.REPL.REPLBackend) at ./REPL.jl:66 macro expansion at ./REPL.jl:97 [inlined] (::Base.REPL.##1#2{Base.REPL.REPLBackend})() at ./event.jl:73 Stacktrace: [1] (::Base.Pkg.Entry.##33#39)(::Base.LibGit2.GitRepo) at ./pkg/entry.jl:378 [2] with(::Base.Pkg.Entry.##33#39, ::Base.LibGit2.GitRepo) at ./libgit2/types.jl:608 [3] update(::String, ::Set{String}) at ./pkg/entry.jl:354 [4] (::Base.Pkg.Dir.##3#6{Array{Any,1},Base.Pkg.Entry.#update,Tuple{String,Set{String}}})() at ./pkg/dir.jl:33 [5] cd(::Base.Pkg.Dir.##3#6{Array{Any,1},Base.Pkg.Entry.#update,Tuple{String,Set{String}}}, ::String) at ./file.jl:70 [6] withenv(::Base.Pkg.Dir.##2#5{Array{Any,1},Base.Pkg.Entry.#update,Tuple{String,Set{String}},String}, ::Pair{String,String}, ::Vararg{Pair{String,String},N} where N) at ./env.jl:157 [7] #cd#1(::Array{Any,1}, ::Function, ::Function, ::String, ::Vararg{Any,N} where N) at ./pkg/dir.jl:32 [8] update() at ./pkg/pkg.jl:228

I am behind a corporate firewall with ZScaler and proxy server. http_proxy, https_proxy environment variables are already set, the certificate is already installed in system-wide location.

I am able to do a git clone fine from bash shell, for example, the following works -
git clone https://github.com/JuliaLang/Example.jl.git

I searched in documentation and existing threads but could not find a solution. There was some discussion related to same error message but it is related to Windows OS. Can someone please suggest how to resolve this issue?

Thanks,
Amit


#2

I believe I have the same problem. Julia version 0.6.4, Ubuntu 16.04.

I am behind a firewall and my company has an ssl certificate file that I installed like this:
sudo cp certfile.crt /usr/local/share/ca-certificates/
sudo update-ca-certificates

But certain programs use their own certificate path instead of the one managed by the system. For example, I had to separately add the certificate file to Firefox using Firefox’s advanced settings gui. I believe something similar is necessary with Julia but I don’t know how to do it.

Below is the error message I get when installing any package.

julia> Pkg.add(“AnyPackage”)
INFO: Initializing package repository /home/develop/.julia/v0.6
INFO: Cloning METADATA from https://github.com/JuliaLang/METADATA.jl
ERROR: GitError(Code:ECERTIFICATE, Class:SSL, SSL error: ffffd900[8] - X509 - Certificate verification failed, e.g. CRL, CA or signature check failed)
Stacktrace:
[1] macro expansion at ./libgit2/error.jl:99 [inlined]
[2] clone(::String, ::String, ::Base.LibGit2.CloneOptions) at ./libgit2/repository.jl:276
[3] #clone#100(::String, ::Bool, ::Ptr{Void}, ::Nullable{Base.LibGit2.AbstractCredentials}, ::Function, ::String, ::String) at ./libgit2/libgit2.jl:562
[4] (::Base.LibGit2.#kw##clone)(::Array{Any,1}, ::Base.LibGit2.#clone, ::String, ::String) at ./:0
[5] (::Base.Pkg.Dir.##8#10{String,String})() at ./pkg/dir.jl:55
[6] cd(::Base.Pkg.Dir.##8#10{String,String}, ::String) at ./file.jl:70
[7] init(::String, ::String) at ./pkg/dir.jl:53
[8] #cd#1(::Array{Any,1}, ::Function, ::Function, ::String, ::Vararg{String,N} where N) at ./pkg/dir.jl:28
[9] add(::String) at ./pkg/pkg.jl:117


#3

I figured it out. My certfile looks like this:

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
....
-----END CERTIFICATE-----

which means the cert file is already in PEM format, so no conversion necessary.

julia -e "println(JULIA_HOME)"
gives me “/home/developer/julia/bin”
And I did

cp /home/developer/julia/share/julia/cert.pem /home/developer/julia/share/julia/cert.pem-backup
cp mycertfile.crt /home/developer/julia/share/julia/cert.pem

and that was it, problem solved.


#4

Thanks for sharing - worked perfectly for me too! Additional step I needed was to change permissions on Julia’s cert file first (was read only initially).