Pkg.add() through proxy fails on Julia 0.5, Windows

Hi guys, thanks for this post. I am new to Julia and and I am very excited about it. For the moment I intend to use Julia via the R package convexjlr and that seem to only work correctly with Julia 0.5.
installing packages with julia 0.6 worked after doing the git config to the corporate proxy. but with julia 0.5 it does not work and it gives me the same error as in this post.

So the consensus here is that there is no other solution but to use Julia 0.6? is there any way to make the 0.5 version work? For my purpose, I need the packages Convex and SCS to load. Any way to do manual install even? I tried to do manual install of SCS and that didnā€™t work.

I am using 0.5.2 and get the same issue

Pkg commands (Pkg.update(), Pkg.add()) have been failing for me for the last few days.
Failure is from behind corporate firewall, everything works fine from home.
Nothing that Iā€™m aware of has changed in work environment, so maybe somethingā€™s up at the server end?

Iā€™m not totally sure, but I suspect Iā€™ve seen this before, and after a while the problem mysteriously goes away.

For the record, hereā€™s the error messages:

Julia-0.5.2> Pkg.update()
INFO: Updating METADATA...
ERROR: METADATA cannot be updated. Resolve problems manually in C:\Users\plowman\.julia\v0.5\METADATA.
GitError(Code:ERROR, Class:OS, failed to send request: The operation timed out
)
 in macro expansion at .\libgit2\error.jl:99 [inlined]
 in #fetch#55(::Base.LibGit2.FetchOptions, ::String, ::Function, ::Base.LibGit2.GitRemote, ::Array{AbstractString,1}) at .\libgit2\remote.jl:70
 in (::Base.LibGit2.#kw##fetch)(::Array{Any,1}, ::Base.LibGit2.#fetch, ::Base.LibGit2.GitRemote, ::Array{AbstractString,1}) at .\<missing>:0
 in #fetch#96(::String, ::String, ::Array{AbstractString,1}, ::Nullable{Base.LibGit2.AbstractCredentials}, ::Function, ::Base.LibGit2.GitRepo) at .\libgit2\libgit2.jl:164
 in (::Base.Pkg.Entry.##35#41)(::Base.LibGit2.GitRepo) at .\pkg\entry.jl:370
 in with(::Base.Pkg.Entry.##35#41, ::Base.LibGit2.GitRepo) at .\libgit2\types.jl:701
 in update(::String, ::Set{String}) at .\pkg\entry.jl:353
 in (::Base.Pkg.Dir.##2#3{Array{Any,1},Base.Pkg.Entry.#update,Tuple{String,Set{String}}})() at .\pkg\dir.jl:31
 in cd(::Base.Pkg.Dir.##2#3{Array{Any,1},Base.Pkg.Entry.#update,Tuple{String,Set{String}}}, ::String) at .\file.jl:48
 in #cd#1(::Array{Any,1}, ::Function, ::Function, ::String, ::Vararg{Any,N}) at .\pkg\dir.jl:31
 in update() at .\pkg\pkg.jl:210
 in eval(::Module, ::Any) at .\boot.jl:234
 in eval_user_input(::Any, ::Base.REPL.REPLBackend) at .\REPL.jl:64
 in macro expansion at .\REPL.jl:95 [inlined]
 in (::Base.REPL.##3#4{Base.REPL.REPLBackend})() at .\event.jl:68
 in (::Base.Pkg.Entry.##35#41)(::Base.LibGit2.GitRepo) at .\pkg\entry.jl:377
 in with(::Base.Pkg.Entry.##35#41, ::Base.LibGit2.GitRepo) at .\libgit2\types.jl:701
 in update(::String, ::Set{String}) at .\pkg\entry.jl:353
 in (::Base.Pkg.Dir.##2#3{Array{Any,1},Base.Pkg.Entry.#update,Tuple{String,Set{String}}})() at .\pkg\dir.jl:31
 in cd(::Base.Pkg.Dir.##2#3{Array{Any,1},Base.Pkg.Entry.#update,Tuple{String,Set{String}}}, ::String) at .\file.jl:48
 in #cd#1(::Array{Any,1}, ::Function, ::Function, ::String, ::Vararg{Any,N}) at .\pkg\dir.jl:31
 in update() at .\pkg\pkg.jl:210
Julia-0.6.0> Pkg.update()
INFO: Updating METADATA...
ERROR: METADATA cannot be updated. Resolve problems manually in C:\Users\plowman\.julia\v0.6\METADATA.
GitError(Code:ERROR, Class:OS, failed to send request: The operation timed out
)
macro expansion at .\libgit2\error.jl:99 [inlined]
#fetch#41(::Base.LibGit2.FetchOptions, ::String, ::Function, ::Base.LibGit2.GitRemote, ::Array{AbstractString,1}) at .\libgit2\remote.jl:226
(::Base.LibGit2.#kw##fetch)(::Array{Any,1}, ::Base.LibGit2.#fetch, ::Base.LibGit2.GitRemote, ::Array{AbstractString,1}) at .\<missing>:0
#fetch#84(::String, ::String, ::Array{AbstractString,1}, ::Nullable{Base.LibGit2.AbstractCredentials}, ::Function, ::Base.LibGit2.GitRepo) at .\libgit2\libgit2.jl:312
(::Base.Pkg.Entry.##33#39)(::Base.LibGit2.GitRepo) at .\pkg\entry.jl:371
with(::Base.Pkg.Entry.##33#39, ::Base.LibGit2.GitRepo) at .\libgit2\types.jl:608
update(::String, ::Set{String}) at .\pkg\entry.jl:354
(::Base.Pkg.Dir.##3#6{Array{Any,1},Base.Pkg.Entry.#update,Tuple{String,Set{String}}})() at .\pkg\dir.jl:33
cd(::Base.Pkg.Dir.##3#6{Array{Any,1},Base.Pkg.Entry.#update,Tuple{String,Set{String}}}, ::String) at .\file.jl:59
withenv(::Base.Pkg.Dir.##2#5{Array{Any,1},Base.Pkg.Entry.#update,Tuple{String,Set{String}},String}, ::Pair{String,String}, ::Vararg{Pair{String,String},N} where N) at .\env.jl:157
#cd#1(::Array{Any,1}, ::Function, ::Function, ::String, ::Vararg{Any,N} where N) at .\pkg\dir.jl:32
update() at .\pkg\pkg.jl:228
eval(::Module, ::Any) at .\boot.jl:235
eval_user_input(::Any, ::Base.REPL.REPLBackend) at .\REPL.jl:66
macro expansion at .\REPL.jl:97 [inlined]
(::Base.REPL.##1#2{Base.REPL.REPLBackend})() at .\event.jl:73
Stacktrace:
 [1] (::Base.Pkg.Entry.##33#39)(::Base.LibGit2.GitRepo) at .\pkg\entry.jl:378
 [2] with(::Base.Pkg.Entry.##33#39, ::Base.LibGit2.GitRepo) at .\libgit2\types.jl:608
 [3] update(::String, ::Set{String}) at .\pkg\entry.jl:354
 [4] (::Base.Pkg.Dir.##3#6{Array{Any,1},Base.Pkg.Entry.#update,Tuple{String,Set{String}}})() at .\pkg\dir.jl:33
 [5] cd(::Base.Pkg.Dir.##3#6{Array{Any,1},Base.Pkg.Entry.#update,Tuple{String,Set{String}}}, ::String) at .\file.jl:59
 [6] withenv(::Base.Pkg.Dir.##2#5{Array{Any,1},Base.Pkg.Entry.#update,Tuple{String,Set{String}},String}, ::Pair{String,String}, ::Vararg{Pair{String,String},N} where N) at .\env.jl:157
 [7] #cd#1(::Array{Any,1}, ::Function, ::Function, ::String, ::Vararg{Any,N} where N) at .\pkg\dir.jl:32
 [8] update() at .\pkg\pkg.jl:228

Just download the git repos and put them in your .julia/v0.5 folder.

Right answer right here. Thanks!

I am on windows 10 and using Julia 1.0. When I try to add a package through REPL behind a proxy I can not do that. However, I am able to add packages through jupyter notebook even behind a proxy. I have not done any special configuration on my system.