Performant piecewise function evaluation

You have basically two nested loops: one iterating through breakpoints and one iterating through the coefficients of each polynomial. You can improve performance if you unroll these loops in your code. This can be done with the @generated macro.

using BenchmarkTools

struct Polynomial_Tuple{N, T <: Real}
	p::NTuple{N, T}
end
(poly::Polynomial_Tuple)(x) = evalpoly(x, poly.p)

struct PiecewisePolynomial{N, P<:Polynomial_Tuple, T<:Real} <: Function
    polynomials::Vector{P}
    breakpoints::Vector{T}
	function PiecewisePolynomial{N}(polynomials::Vector{P}, breakpoints::Vector{T}) where {N, P <: Polynomial_Tuple, T <: Real}
		@assert length(polynomials) == N + 1
		@assert length(breakpoints) == N
		@assert issorted(breakpoints)
		new{N, P, T}(polynomials, breakpoints)
	end
end
(p::PiecewisePolynomial{N})(x) where N = evalpiecewise(Val(N), p.polynomials, p.breakpoints, x)

function evalpiecewise(::Val{N}, functions, breakpoints, x) where N
	if @generated
		generator = (:(if x < breakpoints[$k]
			return functions[$k](x)
		end) for k = 1 : N)
			@inbounds begin
				$(generator...)
				return functions[$(N + 1)](x)
			end
		end
	else
		ind = searchsortedfirst(breakpoints, x)
		return functions[ind](x)
	end
end

polynomials = [
    Polynomial_Tuple((0., 0., 0.)), Polynomial_Tuple((1.0, 0.0, -1.0)), Polynomial_Tuple((-1.0, 0.0, 1.0)), Polynomial_Tuple((0., 0., 0.))
]
breakpoints = [-1.0, 0.0, 1.0]
mypiecewise = PiecewisePolynomial{3}(polynomials, breakpoints)

@btime $mypiecewise($(4rand() - 2))

I get 1.499 ns both with the code above and with your original piecewise_hardcoded function.

Note that:

• You probably meant x < b in your original evalpiecewise function.
  • The if @generated line allows the compiler to choose whether to use the generated function or not.
  • The searchsortedfirst function is optimized to do the lookup in your evalpiecewise function, especially when N is large.
  • The Val type is used to pass the compile-time constant N to the function evalpiecewise.
  • The Base function evalpoly implicitly unrolls the polynomial evaluation for you, since the polynomial is a Tuple.
  • The ImmutablePolynomial type of the Polynomials package is similar to the Polynomial_Tuple type defined here. I have defined a new type only because I want polynomials to be a concrete container (in this case of quadratic polynomials), while the leading coefficient of ImmutablePolynomials must be nonzero.
  • Even though PiecewisePolynomial has a type parameter N to define the number of breakpoints, I still define its fields to be Vectors. You could change that to Tuples if you want, but this could result in large compile times if N is large.

This last point makes me wonder if there is a way to condition the use of a @generated function on the value of N (using something like if @generated() && N < 10)…

6 Likes