Odd stacktrace in vscode jupyter

Dear all

I just realized an annoying feature in the stacktraces of the VScode jupyter notebook interface (VS Code Version: 1.61.2, julia version 1.6.3, on Mac OS X BigSur 11.6). I am using the Julia VS Code Extension (and not the Jupyter one shipped by VScode).

Julia VS Code Extension stacktrace of the following the command:

[1,2,3] * [1,2,3]

Stacktrace:

[1] top-level scope
    @ ~/Dropbox (Personal)/CORSO_NUMERICAL/01-LANGUAGE/01-Language.ipynb:1
  [2] eval
    @ ./boot.jl:360 [inlined]
  [3] include_string(mapexpr::typeof(REPL.softscope), mod::Module, code::String, filename::String)
    @ Base ./loading.jl:1116
  [4] #invokelatest#2
    @ ./essentials.jl:708 [inlined]
  [5] invokelatest
    @ ./essentials.jl:706 [inlined]
  [6] (::VSCodeServer.var"#98#99"{VSCodeServer.NotebookRunCellArguments, String})()
    @ VSCodeServer ~/.vscode/extensions/julialang.language-julia-1.4.3/scripts/packages/VSCodeServer/src/serve_notebook.jl:18
  [7] withpath(f::VSCodeServer.var"#98#99"{VSCodeServer.NotebookRunCellArguments, String}, path::String)
    @ VSCodeServer ~/.vscode/extensions/julialang.language-julia-1.4.3/scripts/packages/VSCodeServer/src/repl.jl:185
  [8] notebook_runcell_request(conn::VSCodeServer.JSONRPC.JSONRPCEndpoint{Base.PipeEndpoint, Base.PipeEndpoint}, params::VSCodeServer.NotebookRunCellArguments)
    @ VSCodeServer ~/.vscode/extensions/julialang.language-julia-1.4.3/scripts/packages/VSCodeServer/src/serve_notebook.jl:14
  [9] dispatch_msg(x::VSCodeServer.JSONRPC.JSONRPCEndpoint{Base.PipeEndpoint, Base.PipeEndpoint}, dispatcher::VSCodeServer.JSONRPC.MsgDispatcher, msg::Dict{String, Any})
    @ VSCodeServer.JSONRPC ~/.vscode/extensions/julialang.language-julia-1.4.3/scripts/packages/JSONRPC/src/typed.jl:67
 [10] serve_notebook(pipename::String; crashreporting_pipename::String)
    @ VSCodeServer ~/.vscode/extensions/julialang.language-julia-1.4.3/scripts/packages/VSCodeServer/src/serve_notebook.jl:94
 [11] top-level scope
    @ ~/.vscode/extensions/julialang.language-julia-1.4.3/scripts/notebook/notebook.jl:10
 [12] include(mod::Module, _path::String)
    @ Base ./Base.jl:386
 [13] exec_options(opts::Base.JLOptions)
    @ Base ./client.jl:285
 [14] _start()
    @ Base ./client.jl:485

Whereas the same command in a jupyter notebook (same kernel but run with IJulia) gives a much cleaner:

MethodError: no method matching *(::Vector{Int64}, ::Vector{Int64})
Closest candidates are:
  *(::Any, ::Any, ::Any, ::Any...) at operators.jl:560
  *(::StridedMatrix{T}, ::StridedVector{S}) where {T<:Union{Float32, Float64, ComplexF32, ComplexF64}, S<:Real} at /Users/julia/buildbot/worker/package_macos64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.6/LinearAlgebra/src/matmul.jl:44
  *(::StridedVecOrMat{T} where T, ::LinearAlgebra.Adjoint{var"#s814", var"#s813"} where {var"#s814", var"#s813"<:LinearAlgebra.LQPackedQ}) at /Users/julia/buildbot/worker/package_macos64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.6/LinearAlgebra/src/lq.jl:254

Apparently, the Method Error section has been swallowed by the VSCode extension. This is particularly annoying as I am using VS Code Extension for didactic purposes and you can imagine how confusing it could be for a beginner such a long and useless stacktrace.

Will be fixed with the next release, which should be out sometime this week, hopefully.

… astonished by how fast was the reply :wink:

Thanks a lot, and looking forward to the new release …

A

Sorry for bothering you again @pfitzseb, any news on this?

In case the fix is already implemented (if I understand well it should be #2509) how can I make it available to my poor students?

My version does not seems to work still:

VSCode Version: 1.62.1
Commit: f4af3cbf5a99787542e2a30fe1fd37cd644cc31f
Julia Extension v1.4.3

Ah, I realized that the last Julia Extension version is v1.5.2 but VSCode Extension Manager only suggests 1.4.3. Is there a way to install the last version of the extension?

You can install Julia Insider - Visual Studio Marketplace for now. I’m still working on fixing a few gnarly issues, which is why that version isn’t in the normal release channel.

Are there any updates on this issue? I can not find the Julia Insider Package in the VS Code Marketplace and the issue sadly still persists for me with the latest version of Julia.

This is what the error looks like on the latest version of the extension: