I wrote a blog post to help beginners understand package management in Julia. The intended audience is people who have no familiarity with the concept of packages, versions, etc. I’ve seen a lot of people try to run some Julia code they found somewhere and not understand why it doesn’t just work. This is understandable coming from MATLAB or Stata where this usually isn’t a problem.
To address this, I walk through an example where code fails to run due to some package issue, then suggest how they can solve this by using environments. I recommend using project specific environments for everything, which is admittedly not how I used to do things, but makes sharing and archiving your code much easier and prevents version conflicts.