Migrate private registry to new server using LocalRegistry.jl

Hi,

I am using LocalRegistry.jl to manage a private package ecosystem. I need to move the registry and package ecosystem to a new server. How to I ensure that the registry and projects using the registry and package ecosystem continue to work?

Thank you!

1. Move the packages and registry repository to the new server.
  2. In the registry, update the package URLs in the repo field of all */*/Package.toml files for the new server.
  3. In the Julia installations using your private registry, do
pkg> registry rm NAME_OF_REGISTRY
pkg> registry add NEW_URL_OF_REGISTRY

For completeness you can also update the repo field of Registry.toml in the registry repo, but I don’t think that information is actually used anywhere.

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply. I had a chance to try it out this morning, but it did not work unfortunately. Unlike the previous server I used, the new server uses ssh instead of https. I suspect this might be the culprit.

When I interface with the repo via the command line, everything works as expected. However, when I update a package from my project, the system stalls. Here is what I get:

(my_project) pkg> update MyPackage
Updating registry at C:\Users\christopher.fisher\.julia\registries\MyPrivateRegistry
Updating git-repo git@gitlab.url
Private key location for ‘git@gitlab.url’ [C:\Users\christopher.fisher\location]:

(I removed some of the specific information). It just hangs here while looking for the ssh key. Do you have any advice for moving forward?

Thank you!

I am using RSA and found this issue: Github droped support for ssh keys with rsa · Issue #55 · GunnarFarneback/LocalRegistry.jl · GitHub

I switched to ecdsa, and it appears to be working.

Ok. Everything is working. Thanks for your help!

This might be obvious to those who do this often, but remember to switch your default remote location with git remote set-url origin url_here.