Method definition setindex in module ArrayInterFaceCore overwritten

Through including various packages I somehow managed to get the warnings

WARNING: Method definition setindex(AbstractArray{T, 2} where T, Any, Int64, Int64) 
in module ArrayInterfaceCore at /home/user/.julia/packages/ArrayInterfaceCore/0D5yC/src/ArrayInterfaceCore.jl:110 
overwritten in module ArrayInterface at /home/user/.julia/packages/ArrayInterface/R0AhD/src/ArrayInterface.jl:199.
  ** incremental compilation may be fatally broken for this module **

WARNING: Method definition setindex(AbstractArray{T, 1} where T, Any, Int64) 
in module ArrayInterfaceCore at /home/user/.julia/packages/ArrayInterfaceCore/0D5yC/src/ArrayInterfaceCore.jl:105
 overwritten in module ArrayInterface at /home/user/.julia/packages/ArrayInterface/R0AhD/src/ArrayInterface.jl:194.

WARNING: Method definition setindex(AbstractArray{T, N} where N where T, Any, Any...) 
in module ArrayInterfaceCore at /home/user/.julia/packages/ArrayInterfaceCore/0D5yC/src/ArrayInterfaceCore.jl:99 
overwritten in module ArrayInterface at /home/user/.julia/packages/ArrayInterface/R0AhD/src/ArrayInterface.jl:188.

I also have the feeling that they might cause a bug in my program, so I would like to resolve them - how do I do that?

Please post your versioninfo() and a larger section of your code that produces this error.
Are you changing environments in your program at some point?

julia> versioninfo()
Julia Version 1.7.2
Commit bf53498635 (2022-02-06 15:21 UTC)
Platform Info:
  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics
  WORD_SIZE: 64
  LIBM: libopenlibm
  LLVM: libLLVM-12.0.1 (ORCJIT, znver3)

For the code: This happens when I included a package (let’s call it FOO for the moment) from .julia/dev/FOO via

using FOO

Interestingly, with the package FOO there come some examples, also using the package without the warnings popping up.

Recently, I added another package to the dependencies of FOO and updated the Project.toml file via Pkg. Still, the “built-in” example programs run, while my custom one gives the warnings.

Solution: Calling

pkg> update

Seems to have solved the issue.

1 Like

Share ]st

(@v1.7) pkg> st
      Status `~/.julia/environments/v1.7/Project.toml`
  [1e616198] COSMO v0.8.5 `https://github.com/oxfordcontrol/COSMO.jl.git#with_multi_threading`
  [f65535da] Convex v0.15.1
  [1dea7af3] OrdinaryDiffEq v6.14.0
  [91a5bcdd] Plots v1.29.0
  [0c5d862f] Symbolics v4.6.0
  [a7f1ee26] Trixi v0.4.36-pre `~/.julia/dev/Trixi`
  [bc1476a1] Trixi2Vtk v0.3.8

Try upgrading. I think Octavian wasn’t updated in awhile so it was blocking some packages and causing a few warnings here and there. You should get v0.3.14 Release v0.3.14 · JuliaLinearAlgebra/Octavian.jl · GitHub and I assume that was the issue? If not, I’ll need to see ]st -m.

Probably, ] st -m showed that Octavian is now version 0.3.14.

And it’s fixed now?

Calling

solved it, so yeah I guess that was the reason.

1 Like