Map a function at a given level of a tree

I feel a bit dumb asking this very basic question, but I have looked and looked but cannot figure it out.

Imagine I have a “tree”, in the sense of a container of containers of containers… Such as

julia> tree = [[[1,2],[3,4]],[[5,6,7],[8]],[[9,10]]]
3-element Array{Array{Array{Int64,1},1},1}:
 [[1, 2], [3, 4]]
 [[5, 6, 7], [8]]
 [[9, 10]]

And say I want to map a function f at a given level of this tree. For the first level I just do map(f, tree). For the second level I can do map.(f, tree). For the third level I run out of ideas and I am forced to spell it out with a loop. Is there something like a mapat(f, tree, level)?

Thanks for any pointers!

It can be done with a recursive definition like this:

2 Likes

Thanks @tkf, but I don’t think that is quite what I need. rebroadcast applies f at every level down to n (right?). I want to apply it strictly at level n. But your idea is great. I can do something similar, like

julia> mapat(f, t, level) = level == 0 ? f(t) : mapat.(f, t, level-1);

julia> mapat(string, tree, 3)
3-element Array{Array{Array{String,1},1},1}:
 [["1", "2"], ["3", "4"]]
 [["5", "6", "7"], ["8"]]
 [["9", "10"]]

Thanks!

EDIT: I had misunderstood! No, your rebroadcast is just like the above mapat, only written in a different form. Thanks again.

1 Like

The solution is this I think

function MagicMapAtLevel(level,func,tree)
    if level == 1
        return map(func,tree)
    else
        for subtree in tree
          MagicMapAtLevel(level-1,func,subtree)
        end
    end
end

tree = [[[1,2],[3,4]],[[5,6,7],[8]],[[9,10]]]

println("level 1")
MagicMapAtLevel(1,println,tree)

println("level 2")
MagicMapAtLevel(2,println,tree)

println("level 3")
MagicMapAtLevel(3,println,tree)

with output

level 1
Array{Int64,1}[[1, 2], [3, 4]]
Array{Int64,1}[[5, 6, 7], [8]]
Array{Int64,1}[[9, 10]]
level 2
[1, 2]
[3, 4]
[5, 6, 7]
[8]
[9, 10]
level 3

If you don’t need the level information you can omit level as parameter. For instance when using arrays with Int64 as base type the function treeMap could have the following form:

function treeMap(f, tree)
   if typeof(tree) == Array{Int64,1}
      return map(f, tree)
   else
      return map( t -> treeMap(f,t), tree)
   end

end

So for instance we get for

treeMap(x -> x^2, tree)

the following result

3-element Array{Array{Array{Int64,1},1},1}:
 [[1, 4], [9, 16]]
 [[25, 36, 49], [64]]
 [[81, 100]]

The requirement of the OP is to specify a level. For more general solution, maybe I’d go with something like

julia> mapover(f, iselement, x) =
           iselement(x) ? f(x) : map(e -> mapover(f, iselement, e), x)
mapover (generic function with 1 method)

julia> mapover(string, x -> x isa Number, [[1, [2]], (3, (four = 4,))])
2-element Array{Any,1}:
 Any["1", ["2"]]
 ("3", (four = "4",))
2 Likes

In order to reduce the number of calls and to generalise to more arguments, I’d propose

mapat(f, c...; level::Int = 1) = level == 1 ? f.(c...) : level > 1 ? mapat.(f, c..., level = level - 1) : f(c...)
2 Likes

This package GitHub - nlw0/ArrayTrees.jl: ArrayTrees for Julia allows you to map a function to an array-of-arrays. You cannot control the depth of the traversal, but in the OP example, and in many practical situations, the tree has the same depth in every branch, and all the elements at the third level are of type Int64, so the package will work if this is specified as the leaf type. Specifying Vector{Int64} as the leaf type would allow you to traverse on the second-to-last level.

1 Like