Make a webapp framework/ecosystem as awesome as R's Shiny: a challenge to Julia's community

Exactly. I hinted at this here Can the two language problem ever be solved for GUI programming - #39 by Steven_Sagaert. Julia would fit nicely in the webassembly ecosystem since wasm is based on LLVM and so is Julia. Either you wait for wasm to gain support for GC and exceptions (and threads) or the Julia implementers implement that themselves like Microsoft did by compiling the Julia runtime itself to wasm. SIMD support is also proposed so that would make it interesting for fast graphics and for running (parts of) scientific computations in the browser itself rather than on the server (e.g. face recognition, object recognition,…)

I have been digging a little deeper into wasm recently and viewed some presentations and demos and I must say the demos look really impressive. This really is a game changer and for me it’s the future of the web. Wasm really is going to blur the lines between desktop, mobile and web apps.

BTW: wasm is already supported by all the major browsers.

3 Likes