LoopVectorization fails to install on AMD 8350

I am 100% new to Julia but wanted to try out LoopVectorization. I installed Julia 1.3.1 and did .Pkg.add(“LoopVectorization”). It failed with:

[8dfed614] + Test
Building VectorizationBase → ~/.julia/packages/VectorizationBase/cKn6V/deps/build.log
┌ Error: Error building VectorizationBase:
│ ERROR: LoadError: “Architecture not yet supported. Please file an issue!\nYou can fix immediately by supplying the correct number of cores\nand the cache sizes (L1 data per core, L2 per core, L3).\nIf you do, please file an issue with the information or a PR\nadding it to the build script, so your architecture will be\nsupported for all future releases.”
│ Stacktrace:
│ [1] top-level scope at /home/raph/.julia/packages/VectorizationBase/cKn6V/deps/build.jl:15
│ [2] include at ./boot.jl:328 [inlined]
│ [3] include_relative(::Module, ::String) at ./loading.jl:1105
│ [4] include(::Module, ::String) at ./Base.jl:31
│ [5] include(::String) at ./client.jl:424
│ [6] top-level scope at none:5
│ in expression starting at /home/user/.julia/packages/VectorizationBase/cKn6V/deps/build.jl:7
└ @ Pkg.Operations /buildworker/worker/package_linux64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.3/Pkg/src/backwards_compatible_isolation.jl:649

My CPU is an AMD 8350 and I am running Ubuntu 16.04.

What should I do?

You should probably open an issue in VectorizationBase to add support for AMD FX processors. If you feel comfortable enough and know a bit about the number of cores and cache sizes of the FX series, you could also try adding it as another special case in this script yourself and make a PR, I’m sure this would be greatly appreciated.

Oh I just opened one here: https://github.com/chriselrod/LoopVectorization.jl/issues/20 . Is that the wrong place?

1 Like

The change will have to be made in VectorizationBase, but as they’re both maintained by @Elrod, he could just transfer it, so I’m sure that’s fine too.

Thanks very much!

I had a very old build script that didn’t reflect the fact that CpuId.jl has been supporting AMD since July 2018. I have updated and released VectorizationBase v0.1.8.

1 Like