Local installation of CUDA toolkit

Hi, I’m trying to add the Cuda.jl package using a local installation of the CUDA toolkit. In the installation guide, it says

You might want to disallow use of artifacts, e.g., because an optimized CUDA installation is available for your system. You can do so by setting the environment variable JULIA_CUDA_USE_BINARYBUILDER to false when importing CUDA.jl.

I’m pretty new to Julia, so I’m not really sure how to implement these instructions. Specifically, exactly how does one set this environment variable when importing CUDA.jl?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Add that environment variable when launching julia like this:

JULIA_CUDA_USE_BINARYBUILDER=false julia

Or set the variable permanently for that session

export JULIA_CUDA_USE_BINARYBUILDER=false
julia
1 Like

Hi, thanks for your response. I’m not able to get it to work, however. Where am I supposed to be running those lines of code from? For example, if I try the first one from Windows PowerShell, I get:

PS C:\> JULIA_CUDA_USE_BINARYBUILDER=false julia
JULIA_CUDA_USE_BINARYBUILDER=false : The term 'JULIA_CUDA_USE_BINARYBUILDER=false' is not recognized as the name of a
cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify
that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:1
+ JULIA_CUDA_USE_BINARYBUILDER=false julia
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (JULIA_CUDA_USE_BINARYBUILDER=false:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

Apologies again, I’m new to this!

In a julia REPL you can type ENV; a dictionary will be printed with all the environment variables.
If you want to add a new environment variable in the current Julia process type in REPL: ENV["JULIA_CUDA_USE_BINARYBUILDER"] = false

Otherwise you can simply go in Windows Environment variables window, add a new variable called JULIA_CUDA_USE_BINARYBUILDER and put false in the value field.

Indeed there is a way to set this at Julia startup but I’m also struggling with it.

2 Likes

I haven’t used julia on windows. The instructions I mentioned work with bash, don’t know how to deal with powershell. But the method Iulian.Cioarca mentioned is better and should work on any platform.

1 Like

This worked, thanks very much!

1 Like