List comprehension Dictionary Julia

I have a set of years like that:

years = [2020,2021,2022]

and I also have a dictionary that links the sites available in each year(sit_available_year), that looks like following :

2020 -> [ "site1","site2,"site3]
2021 -> [ "site1","site3"]

I’d like to create a dictionary that seems like that:

myDict= Dict(((site,y)) => value1 for y in years, site in sit_available_year[y])

the keys of my dictionary it will be then:

[ "site1", 2020] => value1 
[ "site2", 2020] => value1 
[ "site1", 2021] => value1 

I have tried that syntax above but it doesn’t work. I got an error that says that y is not defined.
Anyone has an idea what’s the right syntax to use? Thanks in advance.

I don’t think you can refer to the value of one of the iterators in the other. Just use a loop:

julia> a = []                                                                                                                                                            
0-element Array{Any,1}                                                                                                                                                   

julia> for y in 7:8, site in 1:y
       push!(a, (site,y) => 4)
       end                                                                                                                                                               

julia> Dict(a...)
Dict{Tuple{Int64,Int64},Int64} with 15 entries:
  (1, 7) => 4                                                                                                                                                            
  (4, 7) => 4                                                                                                                                                            
  (6, 8) => 4                                                                                                                                                            
  (8, 8) => 4                                                                                                                                                            
  (2, 8) => 4                                                                                                                                                            
  (5, 8) => 4                                                                                                                                                            
  (4, 8) => 4
  (7, 8) => 4                                                                                                                                                            
  (1, 8) => 4                                                                                                                                                            
  (6, 7) => 4
  (7, 7) => 4                                                                                                                                                            
  (3, 7) => 4                                                                                                                                                            
  (2, 7) => 4                                                                                                                                                            
  (3, 8) => 4
  (5, 7) => 4

(Next time, also make self-contained minimal working examples.)

1 Like
years = [2020,2021]
d = Dict(
    2020 => ["site1", "site2", "site3"],
    2021 => ["site1", "site3"],
)

Dict((s, y) => 1 for y in years for s in d[y] )

gives you:

Dict{Tuple{String,Int64},Int64} with 5 entries:
  ("site1", 2021) => 1
  ("site1", 2020) => 1
  ("site2", 2020) => 1
  ("site3", 2021) => 1
  ("site3", 2020) => 1
8 Likes