LibGit2/libgit2 is failing while doing tests for v1.8.2

LibGit2/libgit2 (1) | failed at 2022-10-14T10:40:41.483
Test Failed at /julia/juliabuild/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.8/LibGit2/test/libgit2.jl:3181
Expression: err.code == LibGit2.Error.ECERTIFICATE
Evaluated: LibGit2.Error.ERROR == LibGit2.Error.ECERTIFICATE
Test Failed at /julia/juliabuild/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.8/LibGit2/test/libgit2.jl:3182
Expression: startswith(lowercase(err.msg), lowercase(“The SSL certificate is invalid”))
Evaluated: startswith(“user rejected certificate for localhost”, “the ssl certificate is invalid”)

Why are you running tests? I don’t the regular (new) users of Julia need to runs these test (they being there for core Julia developers or CI, at least need to be run correctly). Maybe I’m wrong about below, so I edited the post.

It seems you are building Julia and doing something wrong (I’m unclear if “localhost” should be used or why it appears there, and thus "the ssl certificate is invalid”), and the error not really about libgit.

It’s of course possible to build Julia, but since you’re new, do you think you have to? At least you can just use Julia precompiled binaries. You don’t need to build Julia, I’ve done it, but not recently, since there’s no good reason for me, mostly for core developers (and CI).

If it’s relevant the file is much smaller on master (not sure why the code was changed, maybe just reorganized): julia/libgit2.jl at master · JuliaLang/julia · GitHub