Learning to Rank?

Hi, I am wondering if there is any package which has a 100% Julia “learning to rank” feature besides XGBoost.jl? (my dataset would be too wide if I did that).

I have checked MLRanking.jl but this is deprecated by 6 years.
LightGBM.jl hasn’t imported this feature yet.
CatBoost.jl just uses PyCall to run Conda to do it.
JLBoost.jl is deprecated (2020) and doesn’t work with DataFrames 1.0

1 Like

Beware that “learning to rank” can have another meaning: in recent papers, it has been used to describe models which output permutations. I guess you mean ranking features according to their importance?

3 Likes

Yes, something like lightgbm.LGBMRanker() but for Julia.

The most complete list of Julia ML models that I know is hosted by MLJ: List of Supported Models · MLJ
Perhaps one of them has the functionality you’re looking for?

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll go through it - though just by using the search/find feature I don’t see anything “rank” related.

You won’t necessarily find rank in the name, for instance random forests are known to provide feature rankings in a natural way

2 Likes

I am not sure @Billpete002 means feature ranking.
I I get the example on StackOverflow correctly, lightgbm.LGBMRanker is about Learning to Rank.

2 Likes

I took “features” as the results - but yes I mean LTR as per your wiki link.

Alright, this changes things! I don’t know if it is exactly what you want but my current research project allows you to take a non-differentiable operator, such as

ranking(x) = invperm(sortperm(x))

and insert it into a differentiable Flux model. See https://github.com/axelparmentier/InferOpt.jl for more details

2 Likes