JuliaCon2020 Dynamical Modelling BoF summary

Here are my personal two cents from the BoF.

I was the one that brought up the topic “should we motivate packages to join established orgs”? My personal take on this, which might be an outlier, is a resounding “yes”, perhaps because of the different way JuliaDynamics operates. Although a GitHub organization on paper, what brings us together is not at all package management (which is the actual goal of an GitHub organization). Rather, it is a common will to understand dynamical systems as well as the common will to make high quality scientific software to help this understanding. In addition (and maybe this is not true for everyone), I believe an established org brings trust to the eyes of a user, and the exact same package can be viewed as more trustworthy when under an org.

Thus, (at least I) will be continuing to invite people, and the risk of an “abandoned” package ending in the org is something we’ll have to deal with once it happens. So far my experience with inviting people (and they joining, because of course declining is just as natural and has happened already) has been extremely positive (see this post and this post). The joining packages got a increase in exposure as well as contributions and (when necessary) enhancement of documentation. Especially the last part, is something “we” (the established org) can help a lot a new developer, since we are in some sense “seniors” in this area, even if we are not directly familiar. And striving to make the joining package have the “quality standard” of the org when it comes down to the docs can be a motivating force.

For me the other important part of the BoF is that (I believe) we need to invite more people into dynamical modelling in Julia from other languages because (I believe) we do have some of the best packages out there. My current direction on making this possible is comparisons with other existing software, and trying to give “factual reasons” on why someone using e.g. Python should consider switching to Julia. We are currently underway finalizing such a comparison for Agents.jl, which we will share once it is finished.

That BoF was a pleasure for me, and extremely helpful for the community as a whole I believe :slight_smile:

5 Likes