JuliaComputing profit / non-profit tensions?

I apologize if it came across that way. FWIW, I promise this really is just an inquiry about how the Julia community operates with a semi-for-profit arm. I don’t actually have a need to put Julia on an Azure cluster myself – I’m fortunate enough to have a great faculty allocation on my university’s SLURM-managed cluster, for which ClusterManager is more than sufficient.

But I’m an instructor in a Masters in Data Science program, and while our program is primarily Python-oriented (as that is still the lingua franca of data science in industry, and what we feel our students should learn first), since I arrived here I’ve been pushing hard to get more Julia into the curriculum. As our students are mostly private-sector bound, and deeply interested in the cloud given it’s where many of the jobs are, their interest in Julia seems to depend in large part on the ability to use the language on a service like Azure or AWS.

Moreover, I design my classes to be free-standing, public, and free, so there’s no point in including things I don’t think most visitors have access too. This all came up because I wanted to replicate materials I’d written for Python in the cloud for Julia to entice more students to Julia, but couldn’t find a way to do it.

EDIT: typos.

EDIT 2: And thank you to people who’ve pointed out other resources. I’d stumbled across some of those (Azure.jl, for example, is super helpful for storage, but doesn’t seem to help with clusters, unless I’m missing something?), but definitely hadn’t seen these packages by @samtkaplan. I also promise I was digging into this before raising this question about JuliaRun, even if I wasn’t able to find everything people have posted here – I read older issues, asked about open-source tools here a week ago, and went over to ClusterManagers (who just pointed me to JuliaRun).

4 Likes