Julia version change [how much change , programmer should fear]

I am quite learning julia. But It seems it is developing.
I became fear, If suddenly julia release julia 3.0 version what would happen to older version like (python 2 vs python 3) python2 nobody cares now.

and why Julia have those LTS or short version.
Why julia didnt take one version and gradually develop it without those terms?

(Also please give me notification with **julia new release with new functionalities and capabilities and depretiation warning **

• Julia has been stable since the 1.0 release in 2018
  • Julia is not planning on releasing 2.0 any time soon.
  • When julia does do a 2.0, it will be far less painful than python 2.0 to 3.0, because everyone saw what a trash fire that was, and knows not to repeat it.
    • If you think you are worried about it / aware of it, just think how much more the core developers are.
    • I expect that Julia 2.0 will probably just be able to load julia 1.0 compatible packages in some form of Compat mode
    • I also expect some really good tools for migrating, like we had FemtoCleaner that moved things from 0.6 to 1.0, and made PRs to everyone’s repos.
  • Nothing is breaks between minor releases, unless you access the internals (e.g. my package Tricks.jl has never broken yet, but it might). Julia tests all packages on all releases and makes sure nothing breaks (unless you are depending on internals)
  • At any point in time 3 versions of julia are supported for getting bug-fixes if you open up a issue on github. These terms help clarify which versions you are able to get support for.
    • dev (i.e. nightly), where the fix will be made
    • stable: the current release (will get any bug fix included in its next patch release. Most stable releases have has 1-2 patch releases)
    • LTS: the long term support release. (generally will need to specifically mention you want it backported)
  • The Stable version of julia is the one almos everyone should be using
  • The Long Term Support release is for those that are are extremely risk adverse (e.g. some production enviroments) then it gets bug-fixes but not new features. That means it is less likely to have bugs inadventently added.
20 Likes

For even more details on Julia’s release process, also see this blog post:

7 Likes

Thank you @oxinabox , @simeonschaub .
I thing i have nothing to worry like api changes. :slight_smile: all are stable

This is the key point — if anything breaks, it will be in exchange for something that is really worth it. See also

1 Like