Julia v1.5.3 has been released

Julia version 1.5.3, the third patch release in the 1.5 series of releases, is now available. You can get binaries for glibc Linux (i686, x86-64, AArch64), musl Linux (x86-64), FreeBSD (x86-64), macOS, and Windows (32-, 64-bit) at Download Julia.

As a patch release, 1.5.3 contains no new features or breaking changes, only bug fixes, documentation improvements, and performance improvements. You can see the list of commits included since 1.5.2 here. We recommend anyone currently using 1.5.0, 1.5.1, or 1.5.2 upgrade to 1.5.3.

Note that 1.5 on Travis, AppVeyor, Cirrus, and GitHub Actions now refers to 1.5.3.

Enjoy!

53 Likes

Does this require installing the new version?

As always - if you want to use it, you have to install it!

6 Likes

Ok, it’s installed, what file, does the path need to lead to , and where is in the Julia 1.5.3 folder?

The executable is called julia (I guess .exe on Windows) and is inside the bin directory (for “binary”).

6 Likes

Great! Downloaded and installed.

Many thanks to contributors :wink:

5 Likes

VSCode is supposed to automatically find my Julia installation right?

It isn’t picking up the new Julia version even if I delete the old ones.Screenshot 2020-11-11 161404

The executable path in VSCode settings is empty which worked before.

Julia needs to be on your PATH. For windows, Control Panel > edit the system environment variables

Click Environment Variables… and edit the PATH entry

2 Likes

Specify the path to the version you need.

1 Like

Is there a LTS version planned? Perhaps 1.5.4?

I guess it is answered here:

4 Likes

I didn’t need to do either of these things to get the previous version to work in VSCode. I don’t mind doing a workaround for me, but I am trying to convince others at work to use Julia. Manual configuration for every update is a point of frustration.

3 Likes

For Windows users please consider using the Chocolatey package manager. this works great with Juila and the latest versions are quickly available.

After you install chocolatey

choco install julia

Then when a new version is available
choco upgrade julia

To be honest 1.5.3 is available - but still under test/review

1 Like

Many people have multiple versions of Julia installed, for testing purposes. Also, they use many different editors, and different operating systems. So, how VSCode on Windows reacts to a new installation of Julia is probably not something that the Julia developers can take into account. There are just too many possible behaviors that different people might want as the default.

10 Likes

Julia updates often, but if taking 5 minutes to manually update Julia each couple months is a problem, then I guess you are living in the bleeding edge of efficiency. I probably lose more work time than this every day looking at memes people sent me and I did not even search for.

9 Likes

Like I said, it is more about the hassle of going around to everyone in the office and showing them how to manually update Julia and reconfigure their IDE every time. They are just users of my code at this point and are used to all their software auto-updating.

1 Like

It seems that in this instance it’s not really necessary to update everyone for every minor bugfix release (unless the code you’re writing happens to suffer from something that’s fixed in a minor release)?

There are ways to update Julia automatically, e.g. there’s a Julia package in the AUR here and I know @johnh swears by chocolatey installs on Windows which I believe (he will correct me if I’m wrong) replace the installed version on your machine, so presumably this would be picked up by VSCode/Juno etc

1 Like

See julia 1.5.3 path by pfitzseb ¡ Pull Request #1755 ¡ julia-vscode/julia-vscode ¡ GitHub (and preemptively for 1.5.4: Add support for Julia 1.5.4 by davidanthoff ¡ Pull Request #1759 ¡ julia-vscode/julia-vscode ¡ GitHub).

2 Likes

@nilshg Chocolatey does not unistall previous versions of Julia.
Perhaps I should ask the maintainer why this is.

@Nathan_Boyer Are you using Windows? I would recommend trying chocolatey
If you are using Linux it is easy to make a link to (say) /usr/local/julia/bin
Even better use the ‘modules’ environment. I Can give you some pointers - modules works really well.