Julia ranking trend, TIOBE, RedMonk

Well, I couldn’t do my job effectively without Julia. My company relies on dynamic simulations of complex mechatronic and aerodynamic systems. Implementing these simulations in Julia is much faster, more efficient and elegant than in Simulink, C++ or Python. More people will find out these advantages soon. I agree that a stable 1.0 version would help, though.

15 Likes

For general programming, it just needs better support for string handling, databases, connectivity, as well as tooling. I think a lot of that will be coming together in the next year, and then after that, it will be easier to get people who are OK with their current tool set interested in Julia.

2 Likes

@ScottPJones: For what does string handling need better support? Formatting, templates, parsing, input formats, persistence, conversions, other?

Better performance, better (and performant) support for handling different encodings (both of Unicode, things like GB10830 [which is considered a Unicode encoding format], and older “legacy” [but still very very common] encodings such as the ANSI 8859-x ones, the Windows CP12xx ones, SJIS, older GB encodings, and various EUC encodings), more functionality for common tasks like stripping characters), better options for formatting, faster parsing functions, there’s quite a bit.
I’ve been trying to provide a lot of that sort of thing in packages in JuliaString.org (don’t get confused with the “JuliaStrings” org that was created long after mine)

Persistence, that’s part of what I was talking about for databases. Hopefully a number of us will be working on improving that this year (a lot of good work has already been going on - Jacob Quinn has had a lot to do with that)

3 Likes

Julia is back to top 50 as # 50 :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@olegmikul I have updated the ranking Figure. Looking forward to the next ranking after version 1.0

Python has entered the TIOBE index top 3 for the first time in its history. This really took a long time. At the beginning of the 1990s it entered the chart. Then it took another 10 years before it reached the TIOBE index top 10 for the first time. After that it slowly but surely approached the top 5 and eventually the top 3. Python is becoming increasingly ubiquitous. It is already the first choice at universities (for all kinds of subjects for which programming is demanded) and is now also conquering the industrial world. Python’s selling points are easy to learn, easy to install and easy to deploy. Other interesting moves this month are: Rust jumps from #36 to #31, Groovy from #44 to #34 and Julia from #50 to #39.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reminding! It is not convenient to update the original topic. Thus, I have created a website to show the language trend on Github on https://juliatrend.github.io/

The github url: GitHub - juliatrend/juliatrend.github.io: Popularity trend of Julia language

Correction and updating is welcomed.

4 Likes

You should take a look at the IEEE ranking (they actually let you select criteria, say for enterprise, web, mobile, desktop applications). Julia does very well in the enterprise rankings. Last I looked I think it was at #21.

To me, that’s the most trustworthy of all (Tiobe is such a popularity contest, with rather poor methods of selecting data (this hurts languages like Julia, Mumps, and Go, where the mentions of the language can be overwhelmed by references to girls, diseases, and trips :wink: )

It seems there is an actress(or singer?) named Julia Lang :joy:

2 Likes

In an effort to pre-empt some people from freaking out, I’d like to remind everyone that these rankings will inevitably decrease again once Julia is back out of the news for a while. Again, closely following this probably isn’t good for anyone’s sanity.

6 Likes

Yes, so even Go’s solution (people tend to call it Golang now) won’t work for us :sob:

About the same as me getting on the scale every morning :wink:

I have created a website for Julia rank trend on Github at https://juliatrend.github.io. The first rank on TIOBE after the release of v1.0 is 39.
If we plot the rank of many long-released programming language, we can see the long-term rank when the users are stable. Julia should be on the way of increasing. Top 20 or top 10?:grinning: Currently, we do not know which is this stable rank.

2 Likes

cf xkcd: Curve-Fitting

(I respect the effort of collecting these stats, and hope that Julia will keep doing well in the long run, but at this point we just have too little data to extrapolate, even if we ignore the usual caveats about extrapolation)

4 Likes

For what its worth, as much as I detest marketing these rankings do have a sort of hype-cycle boost, not only drawing in newcomers but also reinforcing cost-to-benefit for people that find they are having some troubles (e.g., “wisdom of the crowd” increases the value of time invested).

1 Like

From actual TIOBE Index - TIOBE :

January Headline: Python is TIOBE’s programming language of the year 2018!

Other interesting positive moves of 2018 are MATLAB (#18 to #11), Kotlin (#39 to #31), Rust (#46 to #33), Julia (#47 to #37) and TypeScript (#167 to #49).

BTW MATLAB lost 0.15% and Julia gained 0.07% during 2018…

1 Like

The latest Julia rank (January 2019) on TIOBE and RedMonk .

According to RedMonk,

Julia is making slow but steady progress. It’s certainly not on a Kotlin or Swift path, and the esoteric nature of the language may yet relegate it to niche status, but its steady performance has put it back on the map as one to watch.

2.1 Trend According to TIOBE

Table 1. Julia rank and rating value from Sep 2016

Month Rank Ratings Important Event Note
Sep, 2016 47 0.196% Release V0.5 First time entering Top50
Jun, 2017 Release V0.6
Nov, 2017 0.600%
Dec, 2017 47 0.439%
Jan, 2018 47 0.226%
Feb, 2018 50 0.189%
Mar, 2018 37 0.301% Highest rank till now
Apr, 2018 44 0.195%
May, 2018 46 0.342%
Jun, 2018 43 0.281%
Apr, 2018 44 0.195%
May, 2018 46 0.342%
Jun, 2018 43 0.281%
Jul, 2018 >50
Aug, 2018 50 0.156 Release V1.0
Sep, 2018 39 0.242
Oct, 2018 43 0.191%
Nov, 2018 40 0.230%
Dec, 2018 44 0.188%
Jan, 2019 37 0.296% Highest rank till now

As the marketing/percentage of Julia is still small, the ranking would not be so robust and fluctuation is normal.

The ranking and rating value graphs are as follows.
f1
Figure 1 Julia Ranking (TIOBE)

f2
Figure 2 Julia rating value (TIOBE)

2.2 RedMonk Rank

The following table shows the Julia Rank in RedMonk.

Quater Rank Important Event Note
2014-Q1 62
2014-Q2 57
2015-Q1 56
2015-Q2 52
2016-Q1 51
2016-Q2 52
2017-Q1 52
2017-Q2 40
2018-Q1 39
2018-Q2 36

f5
Figure Popularity trend according to RedMonk

f3
Figure 3 Popularity trend according to GitHub and Stack Overflow
(Noted: the data is measured manually from the following figures from RedMonk.)

More details can be found on https://juliatrend.github.io

7 Likes

That’s some nice work! Thanks for putting together https://juliatrend.github.io.

I am wondering if these charts are worth featuring on julialang.org with some discussion around the ranking method.

-viral

I know that Linus is not the best role model for communicating on dev channels. Still, “total world domination” would be nice.