Julia Installation on RISC-V (Build Failing at 79%)

While I do see in the 2-year-old docs (has there much work been done since? RISC-V support was incomplete then):

Currently, this fork is compiling okay and seems to work fine.

I note that it used patched LLVM 14, and Julia is now at LLVM 18 or 19. It might help, actually, or hurt?

Two years ago is Julia 1.7-1.8 timeframe, and you might start with trying to build such Julia (i.e. some that uses LLVM 14). If you hit success, it might do for you, or then I would try 1.8, 1.9 etc.

RISC-V isn’t yet an officially-supported platform, thus no official binaries, nor unofficial that I know of (i.e. under “General usage” maybe misleading, rather go under internals category?), so unless you really need it, or want to help with it working, why are you using it?

You usually do not have to build Julia from source. It’s only for advanced/developer use, not for beginner Julia users. Not saying you are, maybe you want to help with RISC-V.

RISC-V has no official support tier, not even tier 3, maybe that would have been appropriate at the time, I’m guessing now (unofficial) tier 4 (only 1.10 is now stable version, older no longer supported, 1.10 will become LTS, and then likely 1.6 dropped as LTS soon, I’m even unclear on if 1.6 ever ran RISC-V):

• Tier 3: Julia may or may not build. If it does, it is unlikely to pass tests. Binaries may be available in some cases. When they are, they should be considered experimental. Ongoing support is dependent on community efforts.
  • Tier 4: Julia built at some point in the past, but is known not to build currently.
2 Likes