Julia for prototyping, compared to MATLAB?

Hey @ElectronicTeaCup, thanks for the tag.

Unfortunately, I am not a Matlab user and I can’t quite feel the pain that everyone else went through. On the other hand, I am always amazed that many people in this community can write very good code even without any computer science background.

I cannot say whether it works for everyone but I can definitely share how I learned Julia:

1. Get on the REPL often and do small experiments
  2. Learn to use development/productivity tools e.g. VSCode, Revise, etc.
  3. Build a package and register it. It can be a small thing and that’s ok.
  4. Write unit tests and enable CI checks e.g. Travis, codecov, etc.
  5. Read other people’s code e.g. there are some real good ones from Invenia.
  6. Ask a lot of questions. There are no dumb questions. Sometimes your question leads to very interesting discussions.
  7. Write a blog post about what I learned.
  8. Try to help others out in public channels/forums (and be surprised when someone else comes up with a better answer.)
  9. Have some fun playing online contests e.g. advent of code, CTF’s.
  10. Try to follow conversations on Slack, Discourse, etc. for topics that I don’t understand or familiar with.

Let me tell you my favorite story. While reading some string manipulation code in Base during my 2nd month of learning Julia, I came across a bug in rstrip and I reported it here. It led to a constructive motivational reply for making a PR. The thread went on about what the correct fix should be. Eventually, I got excited and submitted a two-line fix. It feels good to contribute to Base :slight_smile: If I can do it, you can do it, too.

Hope it helps.

Tom

12 Likes