Julia -e "subtypes(Real)" fails

As simple as that. Any file calling subtypes fails to be run as a script, or loaded with julia -i:

% julia -e "subtypes(Real)"

ERROR: UndefVarError: subtypes not defined
Stacktrace:
 [1] top-level scope at none:1
leandro@pitico:~/Drive/Work/JuliaPlay% ~/programs/julia/julia-
julia-1.4.2/      julia-1.5.1/      julia-1.5.2/      julia-1.5.3/      julia-d562a97f2b/ julia-vim/        
leandro@pitico:~/Drive/Work/JuliaPlay% ~/programs/julia/julia-d562a97f2b/bin/julia -e "subtypes(Real)"
ERROR: UndefVarError: subtypes not defined
Stacktrace:
 [1] top-level scope
   @ none:1

julia> parentmodule(subtypes)
InteractiveUtils

which is only loaded in interactive sessions by default (see the manual).

5 Likes

subtypes is in the InteractiveUtils standard library, you need to load it first. This is done automatically only in the REPL

4 Likes

I know you are huge fan of the manual :slight_smile: but:

If one clicks on subtypes there, one arrives here:

We might guess that with that name that package is not loaded for scripts, but if we click in the entry at the menu, we arrive here: Interactive Utilities · The Julia Language (and nothing again).

So it might be written somewhere, but I can assure you that you are much faster than my docs search :slight_smile: . Thanks again.

1 Like

the error is clear, it’s not defined, so naturally one finds out where it is defined.

it is also written somewhere REPL loads interactiveutils

1 Like

Oh yes, sure it is written somewhere. But searching for “REPL” (which I really would never think of facing this problem), leads to: Julia v1.8 Release Notes · The Julia Language

or to this (second entry): Environment Variables · The Julia Language

or to this (third entry): Frequently Asked Questions · The Julia Language

Even if I had “naturally found” where it is defined, I could not deduce if that was expected, or not.

I am not sure where it is written — maybe I just recalled this from somewhere. In any case, perfect opportunity to improve the docs, hence

3 Likes