Julia Debugger - not enough attention

My two cents are that currently, Julia is not ready for these real, large production projects. If you’re going to start one from scratch, then debugger might not be the biggest problem, the ecosystem is. For now, Julia ecosystem is still lack of(relative to MATLAB/Python) actively maintained “wheel” projects, especially for general purpose programming.

My background is to use Julia for day-to-day R&D work and use C/C++ for production projects. Well, indeed I suffers from the so-called two-language problem, but for historical reasons, it’s not possible to switch the core language of a real, large C/C++/C# project to any other language. However, calling C from Julia is more concise and convenient than MATLAB/Python and we also have wrapper generator projects like CxxWrap and Clang which to some degree mitigate this problem.

BTW, personally, I won’t recommend any MATLAB/Python users to switch to Julia if they love to use debuggers(I tried before, never lead to a happy end).

I’m thinking of using Julia as a user-supplied external script in C++ code, which can have many advantages.
Do I need a complete Julia installation on production computers for this?

1 Like

I’m not sure, but I guess shipping those shared libs and headers could do the job. Please refer to https://docs.julialang.org/en/latest/manual/embedding/ docs for embedding Julia in C/C++.

The only question about using Julia packages in such script…

I’ve unlisted this thread since the subject has already been discussed extensively and this thread doesn’t seem to be adding anything substantive. Frankly, unless you’ve got the expertise to build a debugger yourself or a quarter million dollars to fund doing so, saying that you want one contributes nothing.

I asked about better than $250000 debugger…

I’m not sure what you mean.

$250000 is not enough for comparable with Visual Studio debugger…

Sure, one can spend an arbitrary amount of money on a debugger. What are you proposing? Who should be spending that money?

For MS was not too difficult to develop a free Python debugger for their IDE, if they will have an interest they will do the same for Julia.

Sure that would be great. If you’ve got any pull at Microsoft, please try to convince them.

But only Windows…

Perhaps you could petition Apple, IBM and Oracle as well?

1 Like

or Intel :slight_smile: