Julia among the most loved languages

https://julialang-s3.julialang.org/bin/winnt/x64/1.0/julia-1.0.0-win64.exe
You can just change the versions in the link.

What about for 64 bit linux?

https://julialang-s3.julialang.org/bin/linux/x64/1.0/julia-1.0.0-linux-x86_64.tar.gz

Hmm, Iā€™m still getting 5.2 seconds on 1.0.0. Not sure whatā€™s up there.

oh wow. Try the pre-snoop release.

What version is that?

Plots v0.27.0

Wait, are you timing @time using Plots or @time begin using Plots; display(plot(rand(4,4)); end? Those will give very different results.

1 Like

Oh, I was doing the first. Thatā€™s the issue.

I am of the same ilkā€“I do not like to write documentation. However, having done some carpentry as a hobby, I do not like building carpentry tools. I like writing code.

Having spent much of my career developing applications as a consultant for commodities trading, I learned that I needed to be able to look at a piece of code and ā€œgrokā€ its intent quickly and accurately. Julia offers a lot of flexibility and a LOT of features, which goes against my need in that kind of software. See my footnote at the bottom.

IMO, code must be easily comprehensible and easily translated to intentā€“ā€œI want to do thisā€. Documentation must support that comprehension and understanding of intent.

Footnote: For those not familiar with commodities trading, it used to be an extremely high pressure, high response-time sensitive industry. It is highly leveraged where you can make a LOT of money quickly and lose it ALL even more quickly. At one point, you could be fined $30,000 per minute for being late in sending information to an Exchange.

In one instance, I spent 6 months trying to find a bug in an infrequently used error recovery routine in a C program where the programmer had written ā€œif ( errorcode = 1 ) { ā€¦ }ā€. The error in that code was not obvious when looked at while under pressure.

It was enough pressure that I almost bought stock in the company that makes Tums.

1 Like

I see it similar and to make Julia better known among data analysts (in Germany), I published an article in the ix (a very well known magazine in Germany): Flinke Sache - Julia fĆ¼r die Datenanalyse

iX13SpecialTitelbild_small

Hope it helps! :grinning:

11 Likes

Recently I added Julia and Julia libraries to awesome lists which I found appropriate for that, like economics, bioinformatics, LaTeX, research, etc. (should be visible in PRs in May on my GitHub). There are dozens of other awesome lists and other documentary materials on GitHub, of which each has thousands of monthly views. If someone is up to continue the task, thatā€™d be great.

Writing an article like @Gunter_Faes did could also help a lot.

6 Likes