Julia 1.8.5 not working on Rock Pi 4

I’ve downloaded Julia 1.8.5 aarch64 to my Rock Pi 4 running Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.4.154-95-rockchip-gd2ab1f26e1b3 aarch64)

When I tried to run the REPL it just get stuck trying to write the exception

rock@harry2-prod:/media/picklejar/julia-1.8.5/bin$ ./julia 
               _
   _       _ _(_)_     |  Documentation: https://docs.julialang.org
  (_)     | (_) (_)    |
   _ _   _| |_  __ _   |  Type "?" for help, "]?" for Pkg help.
  | | | | | | |/ _` |  |
  | | |_| | | | (_| |  |  Version 1.8.5 (2023-01-08)
 _/ |\__'_|_|_|\__'_|  |  Official https://julialang.org/ release
|__/                   |

SYSTEM: caught exception of type 

If I ctrl-c it says no exception handler available

SYSTEM: caught exception of type ^Cfatal: error thrown and no exception handler available.
InterruptException()
jl_mutex_unlock at /cache/build/default-armageddon-4/julialang/julia-release-1-dot-8/src/julia_locks.h:129 [inlined]
ijl_task_get_next at /cache/build/default-armageddon-4/julialang/julia-release-1-dot-8/src/partr.c:569
poptask at ./task.jl:921
wait at ./task.jl:930
task_done_hook at ./task.jl:634
jfptr_task_done_hook_51304 at /media/picklejar/julia-1.8.5/lib/julia/sys.so (unknown line)
_jl_invoke at /cache/build/default-armageddon-4/julialang/julia-release-1-dot-8/src/gf.c:2377 [inlined]
ijl_apply_generic at /cache/build/default-armageddon-4/julialang/julia-release-1-dot-8/src/gf.c:2559
jl_apply at /cache/build/default-armageddon-4/julialang/julia-release-1-dot-8/src/julia.h:1843 [inlined]
jl_finish_task at /cache/build/default-armageddon-4/julialang/julia-release-1-dot-8/src/task.c:254
start_task at /cache/build/default-armageddon-4/julialang/julia-release-1-dot-8/src/task.c:942

Can you try this build? It’s the CI build from the pull request Enable JITLink on aarch64 linux. by sunho · Pull Request #45859 · JuliaLang/julia · GitHub

That build works! You have saved my friend life

1 Like

It’d be nice to report on the PR that it fixes your problems on Rock Pi 4 :slightly_smiling_face: That PR will solves a ridiculously large number of issues on aarch64 linux. However do note that it’s based on a work-in-progress PR to upgrade Julia to LLVM 15, so some things may not be working correctly just yet.

The weird thing is that the official 1.8.5 binary works with Raspberry Pi CM4 and AWS Graviton but it breaks with Rock Pi 4, and all of them are aarch64

It’s a problem upstream in LLVM: I’ve experienced Julia working fine on a ThunderX2 machine, but not another one, which has supposedly the same CPU :person_shrugging: The good news is that now we have a way forward!