Julia 1.5.2 testing period

The release-1.5 branch on the Julia repository now contains the set of commits we’re planning to tag as v1.5.2, the second patch release in the 1.5 series. The list of commits included since v1.5.1 is available here. As a patch release, it should be strictly non-breaking for existing code and should introduce no new features at all, just bug fixes and performance enhancements.

We encourage users, especially package authors, to test their code using a source build of the release-1.5 branch to ensure there are no changes in behavior. (Binaries are not available for prereleases of patch versions at this time.) A package evaluation run showed no regressions from v1.5.1, so we should be good, but extra testing and assurance is always worthwhile. If you run into any issues, please report them on Julia’s GitHub issue tracker.

Assuming all is well, we’ll move forward with releasing v1.5.2 in a few days.

24 Likes

does it contain the way v1.6 print package version issues in color etc? (I love it)

Nope, that’s a new feature. Patch releases only include bug fixes.

5 Likes

I tried to find v1.5.2 but only found v1.6.0 on github. Is there a link to v1.5.2?

probably this is the proposed v.1.5.2 https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/commits/release-1.5
( cc: @Dkad )

1 Like

The version has not been released, you must compile from source.

It would be nice to post binaries to make testing more widely available. For Windows users in particular it is tricky to compile julia from source.

Linux: https://s3.amazonaws.com/julialangnightlies/assert_pretesting/linux/x64/1.5/julia-b8b7267ef3-linux64.tar.gz
mac: https://s3.amazonaws.com/julialangnightlies/assert_pretesting/mac/x64/1.5/julia-b8b7267ef3-mac64.dmg
windows: https://s3.amazonaws.com/julialangnightlies/assert_pretesting/winnt/x64/1.5/julia-b8b7267ef3-win64.exe

7 Likes

I’m currently running into a failure in precompiling DataFrames with v1.5.2 as downloaded by the link provided by @kristoffer.carlsson on Linux See: https://github.com/JuliaData/DataFrames.jl/issues/2437
Will open an issue on the Julia repo if this is a problem in Julia itself.

I confirm - on Linux it errors, while on Windows it works.

The problem is not with DataFrames.jl but with CategoricalArrays.jl. CC @nalimilan

1 Like

The problem exists in 1.5.1 as well. It’s just that those links I posted has assertions enabled. So it is not a regression but a general 1.5 bug.

4 Likes