Issetequal behavior with duplicate elements

The issetequal docstring says that issetequal(a, b) is equivalent to a ⊆ b && b ⊆ a, but I found this isn’t the case when there are duplicate elements. In v1.0.0:

julia> a = [1,2,3];

julia> b = [1,1,2,3];

julia> a ⊆ b && b ⊆ a
true

julia> issetequal(a, b)
false

Is this the intended behavior?

3 Likes

Good catch. The implementation assumes there are no duplicates, as it is just:

issetequal(l, r) = length(l) == length(r) && l ⊆ r

Can you file an issue on GitHub? At the very least the documentation should mention this

2 Likes

Have done - thanks!
https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/issues/32550

1 Like

The name of the function, issetequal(a,b) kind of indicates that a and b should be sets. Indeed,

julia> a = Set([1,2,3])
Set([2, 3, 1])

julia> b = Set([1,1,2,3])
Set([2, 3, 1])

julia> issetequal(a,b)
true

So an alternative question is: should the function respond with true/false with other argument types, e.g., vectors (in original question), tuples, etc.? Or should the function give an error message if the arguments are not sets?

2 Likes

My understanding was that it treats other collections implicitly as sets (eg equivalent to calling Set(...) on the arguments).

But looking at the docs I am not sure why I think this, perhaps it could be documented? (or I read this ages ago and I just cannot find it :wink:)

There are quite a few set operations that work correctly for non-sets, eg setdiff, union, intersect. So it’s not unreasonable to expect this to work correctly as well, especially given that it doesn’t throw a no method error.

1 Like

If the arguments are sets, should not issetequal(a,b) be the same as a==b? Thus, if it was restricted to sets, issetequal would be useless…

Perhaps. But do you then say that issetequal(a,b) == isequal(Set(a),Set(b)) (or rather: should be like that)? If so, perhaps issetequal() is not an essential function?

I don’t know what essential means in this context, but building a Set may be a cost that one can avoid.

That is, of course, a valid argument.