Is there a simple Julia upgrade command?

I was responding to this, and the various follow-ups:

This quote was, I belive, in reference to “how to upgrade Julia and packages”. When I said that surely this couldn’t be all there was to it, and how to upgrade packages and everything, you brought up the git clone business. As far as I can tell now, that referred to something completely different, not related to upgrading packages.

You must upgrade symlinks to be able to start Julia from the terminal with $ julia, and have a fixed path in your various editors etc.

1 Like

This assumes the editors used have the knowledge of julia, and that you will not have a dedicated terminal always open that you just hit backspace and start julia again when needed.

No, it doesn’t assume anything. If you want to start Julia with the julia command. If you use an editor that needs a path.

But I think it is safe to assume most users do this.

1 Like

Is there any technical barrier to writing a Julia updater in the form of a package?

1 Like

That is my “portable Julia”. Run any Julia version, in its own private sandbox. :wink:
All paths set up automatically, editor preconfigured.

1 Like

However I think the best thing to do is to develop packages outside of the .julia folder.

+1 on this. Just have to remember to pass in the correct path if you use PkgTemplates, for example. I too am a Windows user and have had to obliterate my .julia folder on several occasions. Each time it fixed the problem that led me to do it and didn’t cause new ones :smile:

3 Likes

Not if you already have julia on your system!

does just that. To answer the OP’s question,

]add UpdateJulia
using UpdateJulia
update_julia()
5 Likes

There’s a JULIA_PKG_DEVDIR environment variable that you can set to where you want to develop packages with the Pkg dev command. I have that always set to my ~/dev directory.

4 Likes