Is there a possibility to prevent task switches in a block of code?

please link to the documentation that says task-switching only happens to a limited list of functions. It doesn’t make any guarantee, because it’s hard and that’s precisely the point here.

1 Like

you are argument seems to go like this:
“you cannot disprove me, hence I am right”

just because task-switching is difficult (I don’t know whether it is difficult actually), it still does not mean that Julia works like you are saying

I thought thread spawning was based on tasks so task-related issues should apply to both. The blogpost seems to affirm that yielding does happen at deterministic points, it’s just hard to keep track of so many independent factors, let alone make any guarantee.

Could that go deep enough to remove all task switches in general in a block? Or could that break printing and such?

2 Likes

Thank you so much for quoting these important passages! I haven’t read them indeed.

My usecase is to interact with git - i.e. some external system.

So I guess the julian approach to make sure that several git commands are actually executed one after the other is to have a global git lock which you acquire and release.

sorry if that sounds like my argument and sorry for not being expert enough to the Julia source code :slight_smile:

There are no documentation, only discussions I recall and Julia source code if you want “proof”, I will defer this question to other experts you may find more trustworthy than me.

julia> f(i) = (read(`git --version`, String); return i)

julia> read(`git --version`, String)
"git version 2.43.0\n"

julia> let state = zeros(Int, Threads.nthreads()), N=100
           @sync for i ∈ 1:N
               @async state[Threads.threadid()] += f(i)
           end
           sum(state), sum(1:N)
       end
(100, 5050)

This isn’t really a Julia specific issue, this is a regular concurrency problem. You have a shared resource (the external git repo) that must not be modified concurrently. I don’t know whether git itself protects that resource or not (likely not, since it’s fair to assume that only one git invocation runs at a given time), so to be safe, you’d need a lock or other exclusive-ownership mechanism in any language. Not to mention that tasks waiting on the result of an external command by default wait and thus yield to other tasks, thereby allowing other tasks to spawn their own git command that they then wait on.

There are a number of such concurrency problems that are NOT caused by multithreading, but rather only exposed more easily by it. The underlying issue is protection of that shared resource when two or more tasks access the resource concurrently, which is not necessarily the same as simultaneously.

2 Likes

Let me summarize what I learned:

• it could potentially be possible to write something which prevents task switches, as not every julia function yields, but quite a lot (maybe there is some underlying taskswith method called)
  • the general julia recommendation is to not rely on such potential prevent_taskswitch logic (which does not exist yet), but rather write code in a way which is agnostic to taskswitches

For the application of interacting with external systems it still might be helpful to have a prevent_taskswitch wrapper.

As long as this does not exist the only alternative I can think of is locking.

Pretty much yea. Although you might also be interested in task_local_storage depending on what your application is.

It’s a bit more subtle here actually, because @async does something nasty to avoid task migration. See in particular:

help?> @async
  @async

Wrap an expression in a Task and add it to the local machine's scheduler queue.

Values can be interpolated into @async via $, which copies the value directly into the
  constructed underlying closure. This allows you to insert the value of a variable, isolating
  the asynchronous code from changes to the variable's value in the current task.

│ Warning
  │
  │  It is strongly encouraged to favor Threads.@spawn over @async always even when no
  │  parallelism is required especially in publicly distributed libraries. This is
  │  because a use of @async disables the migration of the parent task across worker
  │  threads in the current implementation of Julia. Thus, seemingly innocent use of
  │  @async in a library function can have a large impact on the performance of very
  │  different parts of user applications.

So @async actually does protect from task migration in a way that @spawn doesn’t, but it’s also not as good at this as the docstring warning might have one beleive (as @jling showed via sleep), but such guard rails should not be trusted anyways.

It’s like running into a window on a high building and saying "what’s the problem? the window will catch me. "

4 Likes

I beg you to just read the blogpost. We cover this exactly

1 Like

I went over the blogpost and it recommends task local state to solve the problem

that is just not a possibility when interacting with an external system like git

Wait, I thought task migration was about a task being scheduled on a possibly different thread when restarted. Even if it doesn’t migrate, pausing and restarting are still task switches, right? Or am I misunderstanding things horribly?

Oh nvm, it just clicked, the topic there is thread-local state, not task switches.

This is why in the original version of the blogpost, I wanted to demonstrate the bug with @async, not @spawn, but we went with @spawn because we explciitly document that we don’t want users to use @asnyc @spawn. In the current iteration of the blogpost, you’ll notice however that we demonstrate the bug using julia --threads=1.

That’s because multithreading is actually irrelevant to this problem. It’s a concurrency problem, not a problem directly to do with multithreading. Multithreading just makes it manifest more because people assume that the number of concurrent tasks will equal the number of threads, and that tasks won’t migrate to new task thread IDs

2 Likes

I think you mean thread IDs there :wink:

1 Like

Wait, do you mean “don’t want users to use @async” there? That’s what the blogpost reads to me

oops, yeah

The julia docs have explictly said not to use @asnyc anywhere for a long time now. It only exists for backwards compatibility.

You can pause & restart your task as much as you want, as long as you protect your shared resource from other tasks that would also like to modify that resource for as long as you need it to be protected for. If that means hiding the resource behind a lock until the original task exits, then that’s what you need to do.

1 Like

That is simply untrue. If you post a dummy example we can help show you how to use concurrency-safe patterns here.