Is my understanding of Julia correct?

It can be hit or miss. Note that type stability can also make a huge impact on compile times, for example on Julia 1.7, type unstable, bar!(::Nothing) takes about 9s to compile:

julia> using RecursiveFactorization

julia> foo!(A::Matrix) = RecursiveFactorization.lu!(A)
foo! (generic function with 1 method)

julia> foo!(A) = A
foo! (generic function with 2 methods)

julia> bar!(x) = foo!(Ref{Any}(x)[])
bar! (generic function with 1 method)

julia> t = time_ns();

julia> @time bar!(nothing)
  0.000068 seconds (416 allocations: 29.359 KiB, 86.92% compilation time)

julia> 1e-9*(time_ns() - t)

Make bar! type stable, and it’s more than 400x faster to compile:

julia> using RecursiveFactorization

julia> foo!(A::Matrix) = RecursiveFactorization.lu!(A)
foo! (generic function with 1 method)

julia> foo!(A) = A
foo! (generic function with 2 methods)

julia> bar!(x) = foo!(x)
bar! (generic function with 1 method)

julia> t = time_ns();

julia> @time bar!(nothing)
  0.000000 seconds

julia> 1e-9*(time_ns() - t)

Note that @time unfortunately forces a lot of compilation that it doesn’t time, so you need to copy/paste the surrounding block to actually time compilation.

There’s all sorts of opportunities for problems to creep in. E.g., recently, I used Returns without realizing that Returns <: Function, which resulted in a 3x compile time regression and a 2x runtime regression. Branches returning different types is of course another ubiquitious problem.
If you depend on a lot of packages and work on a large codebase, it is unfortunately difficult to avoid.

And perhaps the runtime of the code isn’t important, but type instabilities sometimes have a substantial impact on compile time performance, making latency unacceptable slow.

While I’m sometimes the source of the problem – I’ve written closures and unwittingly passed functions as arguments – given how much time I also spend looking at other people’s code for type instabilities, I’d prefer if they did pursue it obsessively. =)

Preferably, as a matter of principle rather than benchmark driven.

Why?
The same changes that dropped OrdinaryDiffEq’s compile time from 22 to 3 seconds introduced a seemingly innocuous type instability (inside a function barrier) resulting in a 50% increase in compile time of our code using OrdinaryDiffEq.
That was unfortunately far from the only example…
Something that works well or improves the situation in a small example can and does blow up and go the other way in a larger example.

EDIT:
But I do agree when it comes to scripts vs libraries.
Libraries are hard to view in isolation, but scripts and end-user apps aren’t.

16 Likes