Internship positions using Julia?

For a lot of other tech stack (specially Web, TS, JS, Java and Python), there are a lot of internship positions and work offers, but I find it really difficult to find this kind of jobs being targeted or asked about Julia. Given this, I’m wondering if there are Internship positions for undergraduate students using Julia.

For me, I’m interested in almost anything related to SciML, scientific computing, data handling or backend. But I would like to know the general panorama about what kind of jobs and in which companies I could find a Job using Julia.

5 Likes

I heard a great quote the other day from someone I won’t name since I didn’t ask them to share this quote, but they said “everyone who wants a job doing Julia work today, has a job”.

I think this is pretty much true, the caveat being that you need to do a little networking and find the jobs within the ecosystem since it’s not as large as some of those other communities you mentioned.

5 Likes

Bosch is looking for SciML interns.

Hi, Bosch Research Center at Sunnyvale, California is looking for a remote intern (US students) working on Neural ODE development in the next several months. Experience in Neural ODE is the major requirement. If you are interested, please apply via this link Bosch Group Intern – ML-based Methods for PDEs | SmartRecruiters.

A recent pharma talk I gave ended with this slide with all of the companies within the last 3 months who have asked for graduating students to intern/full time with Julia SciML experience:

Planting space is looking for someone:

I think Invenia and Beacon Biosignals are recruiting as well?

Roche just asked on Tuesday, their call should go up on their website.

Yeah, oh hell no. As you can see from above. I have ~20 companies a month ask me if we can graduate more students out of the Julia Lab and if they can get in touch with them for internships and full time positions. Those 11 I just mentioned are the ones I can remember off the top of my head. If anything, I need help from @logankilpatrick to curate all of the job opportunities out there. There’s too many :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Oh and Ford is looking for someone with prior knowledge with PINNs.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for this! I’ll check them out, this seems like just what I’m interested on.

Whatever you need, I’m always here to help : )

To be fair, I don’t think that’s true. I do have a job using Julia (not just), and not with SciML, but I think I’m the exception, and such a job wouldn’t have happened in my country Iceland. SciML is the killer application for Julia and seems to require “PhD students and Postdocs” (from the slide) or “prior knowledge with PINNs”.

For a job or internship, even SciML related, I think you very likely would have to relocate or work remotely, as I did, then remotely after COVID.

@ChrisRackauckas, I did update Introducing Julia/Jobs - Wikibooks, open books for an open world with info from here, but I did not add e.g. AstraZeneca (or Microsoft there yet), despite seeing at: https://juliacomputing.com/

Why not AstraZeneca? Could some of the pharma users, be using Pumas.AI (and SciML or other Julia package) as an end-user only? I’m not sure it’s fair then to state, there, that they use Julia, or hire people for. IBM is using Julia, at least making packages for, so could be listed as a Julia user, though packages are made for others. Microsoft has 2 Julia packages, but I don’t have it confirmed they are a Julia user (for themselves), or hired people because they used Julia, rather despite of it?

The page is not yet linked from Introducing Julia - Wikibooks, open books for an open world (is that appropriate, or too promotional?), so basically not from anywhere, except from discourse, that I know of.

1 Like

I am a postdoc (computational scientist), and I have been searching for Julia’s jobs since I fell in love with it (a few months ago). It’s not a very active job market or maybe it’s not well advertised. I ended up writing a funding proposal focusing on developing Julia software for my research field (fingers crossed for getting that). However, I hope that the situation changes and that finding Julia jobs gets easier.

1 Like

I didn’t state that they were hiring because I don’t know. I will probably find out at ACoP though, likely the person to talk to would be Chris Penland. He hired some people who were Julia curious to his group before the pandemic, but sadly I haven’t ran into him at any of the Boston area pubs since the pandemic started so I don’t have an update on what’s going on in AZ. Though of course, like at most places these days, there are people using Julia there. Here’s a paper that came out of their toxicology group:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2468111320300438

There is code included, and its Julia code for Bayesian neural networks.

Behringer Ingelheim is one that should interest a few too: I know they just hired someone full time into an experimental tooling group to start analyzing Julia in Pmx, and since the group seems to be in a major growth phase I’d say there’s probably something if someone gets in contact there and has the right prior experience (NONMEM, Monolix, QSP, etc. something). Though multiple people I have seen hired into this space that I met (BI, Roche, Genentech to name a few) had a non-pharmacometrics background (CFD was actually pretty common) so the pharma hires are definitely not too strict about the exact form of the mathematical background.

But at least what’s absolutely clear is that for people with Julia (+SciML) experience, there are way too many open job opportunities for the number of current applicants. There is a bit of an inefficiency in how these are shared though. I tried to get a job board setup, but Add new Julia Job Board by logankilpatrick · Pull Request #1689 · JuliaLang/www.julialang.org · GitHub .

2 Likes

We (NASA/JPL) have postings up looking for interns with strong julia programming skills and knowledge of geospatial data. We need all the help we can get.

APPLY HERE and search for

AO #13939: Next-generation tools for Earth Observing analytics in Julia

Background

Over the past decade we have witnessed exponential growth in the volume of Earth observing satellite data that is needed to answer two of society’s most important questions: How has our planet changed in response to human activity and how will it change into the future? To fully utilize the growing archive of data toward answering these questions, the scientific community requires a new suite of tools to fully unlock the knowledge trapped within the data. The Julia general programing language (https://julialang.org/) offers a new paradigm for big-data data science, with mathematical like syntax and C like speed. The language is ideal for deploying machine learning tools for large-scale analysis of massive satellite achieves, allowing us to see the world in new ways. We are looking for interns to join our team and contribute to the building of a new generation of Julia tools and workflows that can help to accelerate our understanding of our home planet.

Description

Successful interns will work closely with Dr. Gardner and his team to develop tools in the Julia programing language for accessing, processing and analyzing massive archives of satellite data. Example datasets include those generated by Dr. Gardner’s ITS_LIVE project (https://its-live.jpl.nasa.gov/), which provides automated, low latency, global glacier flow and elevation change datasets. Depending on the intern’s background, there are also opportunities to help develop and implement machine learning algorithms for generating insights from large data archives of satellite data. All code developed during the internship will be made open source so that it can benefited the greatest number of people.

Desired Number of Participants

Background, Skills, Courses

Required Background: Strong programing skills, ideally with knowledge of Julia Beneficial: Knowledge of geospatial data Knowledge of remote sensing principles Experience working in a cloud environment Experience with Git Physics, Math and Engineering background

Web/Literature References

https://julialang.org/ https://juliadatascience.io/ https://its-live.jpl.nasa.gov/

Primary Discipline

Computer Science

Secondary Discipline

Earth Science

Other Discipline

Data Science

5 Likes