Improving Discourse interface

Done. If there is something I could put as a priority on, is to make the mailing list interface work decently:

• There is a post: https://discourse.julialang.org/t/discourse-as-a-mailing-list about using discourse as a mailing list, but this text should be in the FAQ page really.
  • I shouldn’t have to post through the web site and get approval in order to be able to use the mailing list mode. I had to subscribe already.
  • Quoted text in the text-part of the mailing list is not quoted with ‘>’. It’s just the same markdown you see the source text. This breaks mail reply (turns out that editing replied chunks in the web interface is not any better).

I really wonder how well this would work in practice, discourse doesn’t really seem to be geared towards a mail-only interface.

Some other issues in the web UI:

• “Merit badges” are really off-putting for me.
  • When posting a new thread, could we use a full-page editor? I’m writing a reasoned issue that takes multiple paragraps to explain, and I’m getting less than 1/3 of the screen space to do it. The preview on the right is nice, but stuff keeps popping up in it. It’s also generating a lot of traffic in the background somehow, because it’s lagging a lot when I’m writing from a slow connection (background save and searching for related posts, I guess).
2 Likes