ImageMajick.jl, Gtk.jl fail to load in Julia 1.3.1

I have just updated ImageMagick.jl to v1.1.1 and Gtk.jl to v1.1.2. They installed without any apparent problem, but when I try, say,

using ImageMagick

precompilation fails:

[ Info: Precompiling ImageMagick [6218d12a-5da1-5696-b52f-db25d2ecc6d1]
ERROR: LoadError: LoadError: EOFError: read end of file
Stacktrace:
 [1] read(::IOStream, ::Type{Int64}) at .\iostream.jl:361
 [2] parse_cache_header(::IOStream) at .\loading.jl:1334
 [3] stale_cachefile(::String, ::String) at .\loading.jl:1413
 [4] _require_search_from_serialized(::Base.PkgId, ::String) at .\loading.jl:752
 [5] _require(::Base.PkgId) at .\loading.jl:1001
 [6] require(::Base.PkgId) at .\loading.jl:922
 [7] require(::Module, ::Symbol) at .\loading.jl:917
 [8] include at .\boot.jl:328 [inlined]
 [9] include_relative(::Module, ::String) at .\loading.jl:1105
 [10] include at .\Base.jl:31 [inlined]
 [11] include(::String) at C:\Users\USERNAME\.julia\packages\ImageMagick_jll\VBgqs\src\ImageMagick_jll.jl:1
 [12] top-level scope at C:\Users\USERNAME\.julia\packages\ImageMagick_jll\VBgqs\src\ImageMagick_jll.jl:28
 [13] include at .\boot.jl:328 [inlined]
 [14] include_relative(::Module, ::String) at .\loading.jl:1105
 [15] include(::Module, ::String) at .\Base.jl:31
 [16] top-level scope at none:2
 [17] eval at .\boot.jl:330 [inlined]
 [18] eval(::Expr) at .\client.jl:425
 [19] top-level scope at .\none:3
in expression starting at C:\Users\USERNAME\.julia\packages\ImageMagick_jll\VBgqs\src\wrappers\x86_64-w64-mingw32.jl:7
in expression starting at C:\Users\USERNAME\.julia\packages\ImageMagick_jll\VBgqs\src\ImageMagick_jll.jl:24
ERROR: LoadError: Failed to precompile ImageMagick_jll [c73af94c-d91f-53ed-93a7-00f77d67a9d7] to C:\Users\USERNAME\.julia\compiled\v1.3\ImageMagick_jll\3dEbc_fjxSm.ji.
Stacktrace:
 [1] error(::String) at .\error.jl:33
 [2] compilecache(::Base.PkgId, ::String) at .\loading.jl:1283
 [3] _require(::Base.PkgId) at .\loading.jl:1024
 [4] require(::Base.PkgId) at .\loading.jl:922
 [5] require(::Module, ::Symbol) at .\loading.jl:917
 [6] include at .\boot.jl:328 [inlined]
 [7] include_relative(::Module, ::String) at .\loading.jl:1105
 [8] include(::Module, ::String) at .\Base.jl:31
 [9] top-level scope at none:2
 [10] eval at .\boot.jl:330 [inlined]
 [11] eval(::Expr) at .\client.jl:425
 [12] top-level scope at .\none:3
in expression starting at C:\Users\USERNAME\.julia\packages\ImageMagick\zaqeR\src\ImageMagick.jl:7
ERROR: Failed to precompile ImageMagick [6218d12a-5da1-5696-b52f-db25d2ecc6d1] to C:\Users\USERNAME\.julia\compiled\v1.3\ImageMagick\0LbNX_fjxSm.ji.
Stacktrace:
 [1] error(::String) at .\error.jl:33
 [2] compilecache(::Base.PkgId, ::String) at .\loading.jl:1283
 [3] _require(::Base.PkgId) at .\loading.jl:1024
 [4] require(::Base.PkgId) at .\loading.jl:922
 [5] require(::Module, ::Symbol) at .\loading.jl:917

The first error is a read error, line 7 of .julia\packages\ImageMagick_jll\VBgqs\src\wrappers\x86_64-w64-mingw32.jl is using Libtiff_jll.

If I do using Gtk, the package gdk_pixbuf_jll also seems to fail at using Libtiff_jll, so I wonder whether the underlying cause is the libtiff artifact?

My versioninfo() output is as follows:

Julia Version 1.3.1
Commit 2d5741174c (2019-12-30 21:36 UTC)
Platform Info:
  OS: Windows (x86_64-w64-mingw32)
  CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU  N3710  @ 1.60GHz
  WORD_SIZE: 64
  LIBM: libopenlibm
  LLVM: libLLVM-6.0.1 (ORCJIT, silvermont)

I’m happy to step back a few versions if that’s the best solution, but I wonder whether there are others?

Best might be to file an issue at https://github.com/JuliaBinaryWrappers/Libtiff_jll.jl

Can not confirm:

julia> using Gtk
[ Info: Precompiling Gtk [4c0ca9eb-093a-5379-98c5-f87ac0bbbf44]
┌ Warning: You are using Gtk on Windows which is currently not recommended. Your REPL/IDE and anything depending on task switches will become sluggish and much slower (up to ~85x slower).
└ @ Gtk C:\Users\USERNAME\.julia\packages\Gtk\5KVNb\src\Gtk.jl:74

julia> using ImageMagick
[ Info: Precompiling ImageMagick [6218d12a-5da1-5696-b52f-db25d2ecc6d1]

(v1.3) pkg> st
    Status `C:\Users\USERNAME\.julia\environments\v1.3\Project.toml`
  [a93c6f00] DataFrames v0.20.0
  [31c24e10] Distributions v0.21.12
  [e30172f5] Documenter v0.24.3
  [d872a56f] ElectronDisplay v0.8.1
  [c91e804a] Gadfly v1.0.1
  [4c0ca9eb] Gtk v1.1.2
  [7073ff75] IJulia v1.20.2
  [6218d12a] ImageMagick v1.1.1
  [a93385a2] JuliaDB v0.13.0
  [2c06ca41] JuliaDBMeta v0.4.2
  [b964fa9f] LaTeXStrings v1.0.3
  [0f1e0344] WebIO v0.8.13
  [cf7118a7] UUIDs

julia> versioninfo()
Julia Version 1.3.1
Commit 2d5741174c (2019-12-30 21:36 UTC)
Platform Info:
  OS: Windows (x86_64-w64-mingw32)
  CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor
  WORD_SIZE: 64
  LIBM: libopenlibm
  LLVM: libLLVM-6.0.1 (ORCJIT, znver1)

I think its best to try reinstall from start (e.g. with renaming .julia to .julia.backup) and see if it works than.

Thank you @tim.holy and @oheil for your prompt replies. Since it clearly wasn’t a universal problem, I started with an empty .julia folder, and added packages again.

Everything seems to work now, so the breakage was local. Sorry for the noise, and thanks again to you both.